Heroine

Meanwhile, in the wolf's den...

I'm not really sure what's going on, I've been held captive here for months, but rather than being captive, it's like I'm a guest.  But mother says that I shouldn't do things like this. It's wrong. She says this is called taking advantage of someone's kindness. It was one of the things she said when she was still..... when she was still 'mother'.

The wolf king told me that I'll be released after some training with my magic and I'll be participating in something called the hunt. I'm not really sure but they said that all the schools students participate and even if I'm not going there, I was already enrolled so I have the right to go.

Other than that, there are two wolf twins, I think, that accompany me wherever I go. The king, uncle said that one of them will marry me, but I'm not sure why. He told me not to go near any dangers, don't feel suddenly too nice, and think twice, maybe even thrice for anything I say and do. I'm not sure why he wants me to be so careful, it's odd but also heartwarming. He's like a father figure I didn't have when I was a child.

It's calming, but scary at the same time.

.

Well, it's been three years here and so far I've been taught a lot of things. And today, uncle will finally tell me who 'she' is. He said I was the reincarnation of her and that I deserve to know my ancestry. I'm not sure I want to know, what if it's a bad thing? What if I don't like my own ancestry? What if I'm a reincarnation of a bad person, and that's why they've kept me in their den for three years?

I'm scared of that.

"Mary, it's alright. Come on, father won't say anything that'll hurt you. It'll be fine."
Shiro petted my hair gently, with a smile on his face.

One thing I can never get used to might be the twin wolves' kindness. They helped me in a lot of things and lately, the space between the three of us and the prejudice within which they showed me at first were gone. We're now as close as best friends, or maybe more like siblings.

I'm always curious why they don't go to the academy, and it seems like it was because of me. They don't seem too bothered by taking care of me or being ordered to marry me in the future which I appreciate very much. Here, I feel really loved. But, I'm always thinking of mother, her words would echo in my mind a lot, reminding me of everything she taught me.

"We're here, Mary."
Kuro held my shoulders as encouragement, we're finally here.

Uncle was sitting on his throne like usual, but his air was less gentle and more serious, he seemed more like a king than a father, there. Something's not right.