Chapter Seven

🌟 Vote and Comment 🌟

I leaned over Jade's car the following day, adjusting the new fan belt into had purchased that was made specifically for the model of her car. After the tow truck came yesterday Jade and I discussed having it towed to my mom's house where I would work on it.

I couldn't do the work at the shop because then the boss would make me charge labor which Jade obviously couldn't afford so I'd be doing this off the clock.

I worked a six hour shift this morning, texting Jade that I would be home around 2:30 to work on her car and she was already there when I arrived. She still didn't speak much, even after I saved her ass from being broken down on the side of the road. It was extremely difficult to keep a conversation going with someone like that, I would have much rathered if she would just pick the car up after I was done.

When I leaned forward to adjust the new fan belt, our heads collided due to Jade leaning over to look also.

She pulled back and smiled at me while rubbing her head, "Sorry, I was curious."

"Of course you were," I answered, rubbing my hands against my jeans to remove the grease. I walked around her to get in her car and turned the key, hearing the the engine start perfectly.

I heard Jade clap her hands and when I looked at her she was smiling, "That's good, right?"

"Yep."

I turned off the car, getting out and closing the door just as my mom came out of the house. She held two bottles of water in her hands as she approached us, "Hey, sweetie. How's it going?"

"All good, mom." I accepted a bottle of water from her, "Thanks."

She passed the other bottle to Jade and smiled at her, "Are you hungry? We're having a barbecue and you're more than welcome to stay."

"Oh, thank you for the offer. But I should be getting home, Mrs..." Jade paused, seeming hesitant to answer. It occurred to me that she was now aware that my parents weren't together and that my mom was now remarried.

"Vagard," I told her, putting the hood on the car down, "Come get something to eat, Jade. You have ate anything since you got here."

I had been working on the car for an hour and a half, not counting that when Jade had first shown up she mentioned that she hadn't ate breakfast. Maybe I noticed minor things too much, but if she was here and there was food - she might as well eat.

Jade looked at me and then my mom before nodding, "Okay... If you don't mind."

"Of course not, honey. Thomas' friends are always welcomed here," Mom told Jade, "Come inside and get cleaned up."

We walked towards the house and I corrected mom, "She's Mason's friend, actually."

I walked into the house and made my way upstairs to wash up before eating. After working this morning and then fixing Jade's car in the afternoon I was practically a mess and in desperate need of a shower.