Chapter 84

Liliana's pov

"You have Amelia working on the patient's who jumped from the burning building?" Derek frowns as he walks to the front desk where I'm standing.

"Yep, I was in the middle of a tumor resection and the patient's needed immediate care so I paged Amelia." I say not looking up from my iPad as I look over my patient files.

"So this is what you're going to do now? Give Amelia all of the big cases that you don't take and leave me with minor surgeries, because you're mad at me?" He asks.

"Derek, this has nothing to do with our argument. I gave Amelia the patient, because you were busy with the head lac in bed 3 and the patient needed immediate attention." I say.

"Well I'm finished with that patient now. I can jump in and help Amelia with her patient."

"Derek, I'm sure Amelia can handle it. There's no need to have two neurosurgeons on a case that only requires one." I say as I hand a nurse my iPad.

"Do you really think that's good management? Leaving your star player on th bench?" He asks.

"You won't be for long. People are always in need of a surgeon, now if you'll excuse me I have a consult." I sigh before walking away. It's been a couple of days since Derek and I had our argument and we've definitely both been hostile towards each other. The only time we've been speaking is when it's something regarding work, but other than that we've been steering clear of each other. I leave for a quick consult, before walking back to the front desk after I finish to give the nurse a list of updates to make.

"Liliana, I don't think Amelia is equipped to handle this patient. This is a really bad skull fracture." Derek says handing me the scans for Amelia's patient.

"This fracture is complex, but I'm sure she can handle it. Amelia is actually a really capable surgeon if you didn't know." I say handing the scans back over to him.

"She's a great surgeon, but we both know she's been known to crack under pressure."

"Derek, this is not your surgery and you don't get to steal it just because you want it." I frown.

"I'm not trying to steal the surgery. I'm just being rational and making a good judgment call instead of letting my decisions be clouded by emotions." He frowns.

"Derek, I am not about to stand here and go back and forth with you. This is Amelia's surgery, not yours. I will page you if I need you for another case. End of discussion." I say.

"Sarah, what are you doing here?" Amelia asks walking over to a lady who was standing at the front desk not to far away from Derek and I.

"Amelia. You're a doctor?" The lady asks obviously surprised.

"I am, yeah." Amelia smiles.

"My parents, they were in a fire." Sarah says.

"Oh, god. Okay, umm. This is what we know so far. Your father has some internal injuries and a leg fracture. Your mom has some bleeding into her lung and a cranial fracture. As her neurosurgeon, I'm gonna need to do a surgery to..." Amelia begins to say.

"Wait. You want to do surgery on my mom? No, no. I'm sorry, but no. No. I...I. Excuse me, I need a different doctor." Sarah says turning to the nurse at the front desk.

"Excuse me, I'm a surgeon. Can you tell me what the issue is?" I ask as Derek and I walk over to them.

"She...she cannot touch my mother. I need a different doctor right now." She says frantically.

"Calm down." Amelia says.

"No, I want another doctor. She cannot touch my mother. She's a drug addict!" Sarah screams, causing everyone near us to turn their attention towards us.