Chapter 43

Liliana's pov

It's been about a month and a half since the plane crash and today is my first day back at work. Mostly everyone else had already returned to work, but I had to wait for my ankle to recover which took longer than expected since I aggravated the break even more by walking on it so much. I still wasn't completely healed and I had ankle pain and swelling sometimes, but I was tough. I could handle it. Physically I was recovering well, but not emotionally. My plan was originally to leave Seattle as soon as I got out of the hospital, but with Derek not being able to operate, because his hand isn't one hundred percent where it used to be yet and Mark currently being in a coma, Jackson and I decided to stay in Seattle. It just didn't feel like the right time. Mark has officially been in a coma for 30 days today and we're supposed to unplug him at 5, but I refuse to believe he isn't going to wake up, he has to. We already lost Lexi, we can't lose him too.

Arizona's still out of work because her leg had to be amputated and Alex has delayed going to Hopkins for now to help run the Ped's department. Cristina left for the Mayo Clinic as soon as she got out of the hospital, which I couldn't blame her for at all. I haven't really spoken to her since she moved, but I really haven't been speaking to anyone since the plane crash. It took something from me. I just felt so angry and numb. I haven't gotten a good nights rest since I was sedated in the hospital, now everytime I close my eyes I have flashbacks of everything that happened in the woods and everytime I go to sleep I have nightmares that I'm trapped out there again and I just wake up screaming and crying, so I just don't sleep to avoid it.

"How's your first day back?" Jackson asked giving me a kiss as I stood at the front desk.

"Fine, it would be even better if my idiot intern was back with my scans already. I swear she's clueless." I grumbled as I focused on my charts.

"You probably scared her off. You haven't even been back a full day yet and you've already instilled fear into all of the interns. They've even given you a nickname."

"What is it?" I asked curiously.

"Ice queen."

"Nice." I smirked proudly.

"Would that happen to be your intern over there?" He asks looking over at Jo Wilson, who was nervously standing a little distance away staring at me.

"Yep." I sighed. "Wilson will you come over here with my scans instead of just standing there staring, like a lost puppy. I've been waiting for those for over an hour." I sighed taking the files from her when she walks over.

"I had to do an admission..." She begins to explain.

"Stop making excuses." I interrupted not wanting to hear her pathetic excuses.

"Sorry." She apologizes.

"Stop apologizing." I frowned.

"Okay."

"Stop talking. You know what you've already given me a migraine and it's not even half way through the day. Go see if another attending needs your help, you're off of my service for today." I say walking away.

"Liliana was that really necessary?" Jackson asked following behind me, obviously feeling bad for the intern.

"Yes it was. I should not have had to wait an hour for her to bring my scans to me. She had basic instructions." I complained.

"I'm just saying you were a little harsh."

"Well so is life." I shrugged before walking away from him. I go find Derek who's sitting in the attendance lounge by himself staring off into space.