Chapter 26

Liliana's pov

"Tell him that you were instrumental in getting the chief's trial approved for phase one human testing, from mice to humans."  I mumble to Jackson as we stand in the bathroom brushing our teeth. Today the interviews for chief resident are officially starting and I'm giving Jackson some pointers before we go in for them.

"I'm not doing that." He shakes his head.

"Look, I know you don't like bragging about yourself, but you don't even have to brag. Your diabetes trial does it for you. It's going to win every award. Seriously. Just make sure that he knows..." I start before Jackson interrupts me.

"I got it." He says spitting into the sink and walking away.

"That you've been instrumental." I yell so he can hear me.

"Got it." He yells again.

"He don't got it." I mumble to myself. I don't know why Jackson has been acting like this. Anytime I even mention the diabetes trial he changes the subject. If it was me I would talk about that trial 24/7, I mean it's not everyday you make steps towards curing diabetes. I finish getting ready and I leave and head to the hospital. Jackson and I decided to drive separate since lately our shifts have been ending at different times and one of us always gets stuck sitting in the waiting area until the other one gets finished. I  wasn't nervous at all about my interview today. After talking to Derek the other day I've realized that even if I don't win Chief Resident I'm still one of the best residents at Seattle Grace.

Once I arrived at the hospital I go to the locker room and got dressed in my scrubs. I go check on a couple of Shepherd's post ops and grab a couple of lab results. As I'm walking down the hallway I hear what sounds like a baby crying, but I'm not sure if I'm just hearing things because baby's are always taken to the pediatric floor not the surgical wing. I turn around and see Mark walking down the hallway with, Sophia.

"Oh my god, she is so adorable." I smile walking over to them.

"Of course she is, she's a Sloan." Mark smiles proudly making me laugh.

"You know it's probably not the best idea to have her at the hospital with all of these germs." I say.

"It's fine to bring her here. Just have to keep her out of the actual OR with all of the blood and germs.." he said. "Here, you want to hold her?" Mark says gesturing for me to grab the baby.

"Of course I do." I smile grabbing Sophia. As soon as I get her she stops crying.

"How'd you do that. She's been crying all morning. " He chuckles.

"Baby's like me, plus she probably likes being actually held better then that little carrier thing you had her in." I say.

"I will keep that in mind." He smiles.

"She's gotten so big since the last time I saw her." I say looking at the now smiling baby.

"Yeah, she's really growing." Mark smiles proudly.

"You know, I'm really happy for you Mark. You deserve to finally be a dad." I tell him.

"Thank you. This little girl has changed my life for the better, I never knew I could love someone this much. Almost everything in my life is perfect now."

"Almost?"

"Yeah, the only thing missing is Lexie." He sighs.

"You know she still loves you, right?" I ask.

"I don't think she does." He says.

"Mark, believe me I know she does. She might try to pretend that she's over you, but when Callie got into that accident and almost lost the baby, who rushed to your side to comfort you?"