Chapter 73

Liliana's pov

*8 weeks later*

"Hey, Derek! Are you coming by the lab today? We're starting to lose all our phase two momentum?" Callie says excitedly running over to Derek and I as we walk through the hallway.

"Yeah. Actually, they're setting up my new office today. Oh, you know what? I got to grab a sensor. The guys are going to duplicate one." He says. Derek and Callie have been working on this brain mapping initiative for the last couple of weeks and it's so impressive that the president contacted Derek and wants him to work on a brain mapping initiative with the White House , which he has agreed to, so he's in constant contact with the president and he'll be working on the initiative from Seattle.

"Ah, yes. The Washington guys, mapping the brain. You're actually gonna have time to do this too hough, right?" Callie asks.

"Yeah. I hope so. I plan to." Derek says.

"All right. Well, let me know when you're ready." She smiles before walking away.

"I haven't seen a blowoff like that since high school." I joke.

"It was not a blowoff." Derek laughs.

"Sure." I smirk.

"So how does it feel to be back at work?" He asks me.

"Great. I thought I was about to go crazy sitting at home all day. The only thing that kept me sane were the days I had Bailey and Zola around to keep me company." I say. After the first four weeks of being out of work I couldn't handle sitting in the house doing nothing all day, so Derek and Meredith let me keep Zola and Bailey these last couple of weeks, which I really enjoyed.

"Well they enjoyed being at your house, especially Zola. She had a fit every time we came to pick her up. I'm starting to think she likes you better than she likes Meredith and I." He laughs.

"She does." I smile.

"You know, you're really good with kids. When are you and Avery going to start a family of your own?"

"Not anytime soon. I love babysitting your kids, but with how busy Jackson and I are both are, I couldn't imagine us having kids of our own anytime soon." I say before my pager goes off. "I have to go. I have an angioplasty surgery."

"Okay, have fun." He smiles as I walk away. I get my patient prepped for surgery before taking her to the O.R. and operating. It honestly feels so good to be back in the O.R. operating again. Not being able to operate was one of the worst parts of my recovery. As a surgeon, I don't feel complete when I'm not at work saving lives. The only enjoyable part of staying home besides keeping Zola and Bailey, was getting to spend free time with Jackson. He took a lot of time off to spend with me while I was recovering, because he knew how much I hated sitting at home all day and he definitely kept me distracted from thinking about work. Jackson is honestly the best thing that's ever happened to me. Through every situation I've been in, he's always there for me and helps me through it. I'm so lucky to have him.

I complete my operation successfully and I take my patient to recovery before going to the front desk.

"Hey you." I smile as Jackson walks over to me while I read over charts.

"Hey." He smiles kissing me. "How's your first day back going?"

"Good, I just did a angioplasty." I say.

"And how do you feel?"

"Spectacular." I smile. I was actually supposed to stay home for another two weeks, but I couldn't bear being out of work any longer, so I came back early, which Jackson did not want me to do so he's been constantly checking on me to make sure I'm not overworking myself.