"Hey, Mrs. Vagard," Mason said to my mom, "Do you mind if I get some water?"

Mom smiled at him, shaking her head in response, "Mason, call me Alexandra, okay? And please don't feel like you need to ask. Go ahead. Do you need an advil?"

"You know what? Advil would be great."

I watched mom leave the kitchen to go get advil for Mason, he grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and I raised an eyebrow at him, "Dad texted me this morning. I told him where we were so you wouldn't get in shit for not calling home."

"Thanks," He chugged the water and set the bottle on the counter, looking over at me, "Your mom is really nice."

"I know."

The kitchen fell silent for a moment before Mason decided to speak again, "I'm sorry... for taking your car. I know you don't like anyone touching your car and it was stupid, so I'm sorry."

Remembering the moment I walked out of the house to see Mason driving off in my Mustang was enough to make me angry in that very moment. I acted as soon as I could, having ran into the house to take his keys and drive after him in his car. He knew better, Mason knew that the one thing I hated most was people using my car. I didn't stand for it - ever.

He did it anyway and it didn't take a genius to figure out why.

"You need to stop doing things to impress girls. No one likes an idiot, Mase." I told him just as my mom walked back into the kitchen.

She passed Mason two advil tablets, "These should help, but you really should rest and rethink how much you drink."

"Maybe I overdid it a little," He admitted with a slight chuckle, taking the advil with his water, "Thank you for letting me stay her, Mrs. Va-- Uhm, Alexandra. I appreciate it."

Mom smiled at him, the thing about mom was that she've always been so welcoming and approachable, "You're very welcome, Mason. Come by any time, okay? Thomas was kind enough to make breakfast, so let's all sit down together and catch up. It's been so long."

We prepared the plates, placing the omlettes on each one just as Daniel made his way downstairs as well. I grabbed the carton of orange juice from the fridge and walked to the dining room, feeling my mom grab my arm to stop me.

"Thomas, are you coming back later? I need to talk to you about something," She said quietly, her smile still in place which reassure me that it wasn't anything serious.

"What's up?" I asked her, setting the carton on the table before taking my usual chair at the table.

Mom shook her head, giving my shoulder a gentle tap, "We'll talk about it later, okay?"

I nodded my head and poured orange juice into my glass as the breakfast conversation started, the only difference was that Mason was here. It was different having him at my mom's but she didn't seem the slightest bit phased by it. I wasn't exactly against having him around I just didn't want to do anything that would hurt her in any way.

I've always tried to see things from her perspective but unlike my mom I'm not as willing to get over things as she is. She's forgiving while I tend to hold grudges.

Mason seemed to fit right in, he got his charisma from dad for the most part which is why he was going into business. He was a Reid, not just by name or blood, but personality.

***

"Are you coming in?" Mason asked when I dropped him off at dad's house.