Oh brother, what a mess

Start from the beginning

"Come on, big bro, you hurt my feelings. We're family and all that jazz."

I sighed, it was no used being angry at him, he had a way about him that makes it impossible not to love him.

"Haven't you ever heard of picking up a phone and calling, instead of just showing up at someone's home?"

"Yeah," he answered, "But you're my brother, I'm entitled to just show up, and I didn't come empty handed, I brought Candy and Buttercup, whom you turned down."

I rubbed my temple, feeling a headache coming on. I didn't understand my brother, how he can just sleep around with all those different women was beyond me.

"Why are you here Nate?"

He hopped up from his seat, I knew that he was trying to avoid the question but I wasn't having any of it. I waited until he poured himself a second cup of coffee, but instead of retaking his seat, he chose to stand.

I gave him an impatient look, in which he returned a sheepish one. When he noticed that I wasn't going to let him off the hook, he decided to give in and tell me what I wanted to know.

"I need a place to crash for a few days, I've got this big deal going down that I have to oversee, so I was wondering if I can stay with you for a while?"

I didn't like the sound of it, I knew that whatever he got himself mixed up in couldn't be good.

"What big deal?"

My brother scratched his head and was looking into his cup like the content was fascinating. I was afraid of what his answer would be because I knew that he was the one who took over the business after our father died. However, every time I asked him about it, he would deny it on every occasion.

I waited for him to answer and after not saying a word for over five minutes, he finally looked me in the eyes.

"Look, Noah, it's best if you don't know right now, I wouldn't want to jinx it."

I gave him a sceptic look, letting him know that I didn't believe him in the slightest.

"Come on, Noah, this deal is legit, I promise it's not going to get me into any trouble."

Although I didn't believe him, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. A big part of me wanted it to be true, but it was that small part that couldn't ignore the evidence that was piled a mile high against him. There was so much that Nate did that made me believe that he's taken up dad's role in the crime industry.

"Okay, you can stay here for a few days, but there are rules that you have to adhere to whilst under my roof, is that understood?"

He rolled his eyes but nodded.

I placed the empty cup in the dishwasher and left the kitchen. My brother followed behind me.

"So, what are these rules?"

I grabbed my keys off of the coffee table and searched around the house for my jacket. When I found it, I shrugged it on then, grabbed my shoes that were at the door and put those on too.

"No strange women in my house and none of your f**ked up looking friends either. If you can follow those two simple rules, I won't have to kick your ass out again."

I stood when I was finished, he raised his eyebrow in question. I was about to ignore him but decided that it would be less headache if I just let him where I was going.

"I'm going to see my daughter and her kid sister, so behave whiles I'm gone."

His face lit up, "How's my niece and her hella sexy mother doing?"