Not quite lacey enough

Hello, my lovelies! I know that it's been a minute since I last updated. I just wanted to let you guys know I haven't forgotten you. I've just been dealing with some shit in my life. This month has not been a good one for me. I lost my uncle to covid on the 2nd and my dad died three days after him, to covid as well. And when I thought my life couldn't get anymore f**ked up, my cousin died two weeks after. We've had three funerals in this month alone. I just couldn't bring myself to write. I wanted to give up writing altogether, but I know I couldn't do that to you guys. 

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter, and I promise you wouldn't have to wait too long for the next one. 

********

Lacey's P.O.V

"Mummy, I don't like going to school. All the other kids are mean to us."

I listened to my son as I searched under the couch for the fifth time, trying to find the shoes that I knew he hid. Just as the last time I searched, it was not there.

I plopped myself on the ground and blew out a frustrated breath. Every morning it's the same thing, he hides something from me, hoping that I wouldn't find it and he wouldn't be able to go to school.

Turning to him, I gave him a stern look. "Alright young man, tell me where you hid your shoes this instant."

He stuck his little nose in the air and folded his arms in rebellion. His sister and brother giggled from the other side of the room. Both dressed and waiting to head through the door.

I folded my arms as well, and narrowed my eyes at him, hoping to intimidate him. He scrunched up his little face and squinted his eyes right back at me. We faced each other like that for a while, both refusing to back down.

After about five minutes of getting nowhere, I decided that I'd had enough. I couldn't let him have things his way. I was the adult, and he should be listening to me. So, there was only one thing left to do. Beg.

"Kailo, sweetie can you please tell mummy where you hid the shoes." He turned his head away, refolding his arms and planting his feet firmly on the ground. Okay, so that didn't work. He left me no choice but to pull out the big guns.

"I'm gonna tell grandma, and then you're going to be in big trouble."

Liliane and Liam gasped, smacking their hands over their mouth in unison. Kailo's head spun back to me, his eyes widened, and his lips turned down into a frown.

"Tell mama where the shoes are, Kai." Liliane urged.

"Yeah, Kai, tell mama that you hid them in the washing machine." Liam chimed in.

A bright smile lit up my face as I looked at Liam. So, that's where the rascal hid it. I should have known that he was up to no good when I found him in the kitchen after dinner the night before.

When Liam realised what he said, he palmed his face in his hands and let out a squeaky, "Sorry, Kai."

I quickly got up and ran into the kitchen then through to the utility room. I opened the washing machine, and sure enough, the shoes were there. Grabbing them, I ran back into the living area and handed them to Kailo, who took them with slumped shoulders.

Just as he slipped his feet into the last shoe my doorbell rang, signalling the arrival of the bus driver.

"Come on guys, Mary is here. You guys like Mary, don't you?"

Liam and Liliane nodded, but Kailo still had his shoulders slump and head hung. It broke my heart to see him like that, and I wished that I could keep them home and home-school them, but I had a demanding job.