chapter thirteen.

The atmosphere in the room was too weird for Baekhyun. It's been years since the last time he saw his relatives because they lived in America. But now, all of a sudden, here they were inside their house.

"Everything's still the same," said Aunt Dahui, their mother's sister, as she darted her eyes around with a dreamy smile on her lips. "I'm glad you kids tried to keep everything as it is."

"Do you want to eat a more fulfilling meal, auntie? Uncle?" Baekhyun politely asked as he ushered them into the dining room.

"Some snacks will do, son. We're not going to stay for long," Uncle Jaehyun answered as they took their seats. Baekhyun rushed out of the room for a moment to ask one of the helpers to prepare snacks.

"We're really sorry to drop by at such a short notice," Aunt Dahui said as she smiled at him apologetically, leaning forward. "We were back to oversee some work-related things and we just recently heard about Baekhee's condition."

"Oh," Baekhyun bowed his head. "She's in her room, still sleeping."

"How is she?" Uncle Jaehyun said. 

Baekhyun oursed his lips. "She's not really fine..."

Uncle Jaehyun sighed. "Baekhee is a very reliable CEO for your family's corporation. However, she is unable to look over the corporation and technically, you'll have to take over. But since you're underaged, we'll take the responsibility for awhile until you're old enough."

"And we'd like to suggest something to you..." Aunt Dahui gave Baekhyun a gentle smile, which assured him that it wasn't something that he'd have to worry about.

"You see, we know of a couple of doctors in America who may help your sister's pain," Uncle Jaehyun said. "We were suggesting that you might want to come with us to America to get your sister treated and of course, you may continue your education there. We can even train you so you would be able to manage the company well in the future."

"A-America?" Baekhyun stuttered. "You mean, she might get a higher survival rate if we get her treated to America?"

Aunt Dahui nodded. "Yes, that's what we mean."

"But I have a great life here..." Baekhyun spared a small smile. "I have school and friends.... I can't just leave."

"Think about it Baekhyun," Uncle Jaehyun firmly said. "For your sister's sake. Are you seriously going to choose the trivial things over your sister's life?"

Baekhyun blinked, shaking his head. "O-Of course not... she means too much to me..."

"Then there you have it! We need to-"

Aunt Dahui placed a hand on her husband's arm and shook her head. He cleared his throat and nodded.

She turned to Baekhyun. Reaching out, she took his hands in hers and squeezed them. "Talk to your sister about it and decide. We'll come back by the day after tomorrow to hear your decision. Please think about it, Baekhyun. For you and your sister's sake..."

Baekhyun's aunt and uncle didn't remain longer. After more discussions that Baekhyun didn't understood thorough, they left to retire to their hotel.

As Baekhyun closed the door after them, he let out a heavy sigh and leaned against the door. He slid down, until he found himself sitting on the ground while slumped against the door.

Conflicted, he propped his knees up and placed his chin there, closing his eyes and shooing away the heavy decision he'd have to make.

Baekhyun loved his sister dearly despite their rocky relationship throughout the years. He wanted her live long. He wanted her to have her own children, then he'd want her to meet his own children. They both have a long, beautiful life ahead of them... if not for that fucking illness that has caused a massive effect on how life should have been for her.

Which is why America seemed to be such a great opportunity.

But Baekhyun wasn't fully satisfied with that opportunity. In exchange, he'd have to abandon everything he has ever known here in Korea. His life, school, his friends... Chanyeol.

Chanyeol.

Baekhyun chuckled helplessly, ruffling his hair in agitation before letting out an irritated yell.

Chanyeol. They only met about a month ago, but Baekhyun felt like they've known each other for a lifetime. While Baekhyun didn't know much about Chanyeol, he had trusted him enough to show him his weakness. Chanyeol had genuinely showed him how much he cared for him, and Baekhyun may or may not have fallen for him as well.

Chanyeol was a great reason why Baekhyun couldn't be so sure about leaving for America.

He wanted to stay with him longer, get to properly know him, date him properly and then maybe get in a serious relationship with him.

But is Baekhyun really going to sacrifice his sister's chances of living just to make himself happy?

Of course not.

Chanyeol may be a very important to him, but Baekhyun was willing to let him go for his sister. Maybe he just wasn't for him. When he leaves, it will all just be a bittersweet highschool memory. Baekhyun will look back and remember the chapter in his life about how his beloved boyfriend cheated on him and a not-so-random boy appeared to mend his broken heart despite the circumstances.

That's right, everything's going to be a memory.

Baekhyun stood up. If it was going to be a memory, then it better be something worth remembering.

Tears suddenly burst out of his eyes, but as quickly as they appeared, Baekhyun wiped them off. He turned towards the door and turned the knob open, the evening breeze causing goosebumps to break out of his skin as he stepped out of the house.

He needs to see Chanyeol.

140424