40 - Mid-Winter Ball

Start from the beginning

.....

I am getting fed up of being sociable, having to plaster on a fake smile and make tedious small-talk. It really doesn't help that each time I move away some male swoops down on Elissa.

My friends I can bear, but her latest admirer has me thoroughly rattled; a tall man with silvery skin and hair in metallic hues of peacock blue and green. I did not even know that the Atlantean Crown Prince had been invited. Unfortunately, I am currently engaged dancing and will have to wait before I can intervene.

He bows graciously to my beloved. "Lady Elissa, Triton your humble servant."

Humble, my furry behind! That overgrown fish should return to the water, the tiger grumbles.

Elissa curtsies and holds out her hand in greeting. He kisses her knuckles and he must have cold, fishy lips because gooseflesh breaks out on her arm.

She places her free hand on the table and her fingers graze an abandoned half-filled glass. I watch mesmerised, as the wine spirals up into the air and the droplets of golden liquid float in slow motion, shimmering in the candlelight.

Triton also notices and gives an enigmatic smile as if he knows some secret. His smile widens, revealing very sharp, white teeth and he gestures with a hand; the wine halts mid-air and returns back into the glass.

To my chagrin, the dance whisks me across the room and I am ignorant to their continuing exchange. I thank the gods when the song ends and I am freed. However, I wonder if perhaps the gods have a perverse sense of humour because just as I am making my way off the dance floor, Triton and Elissa are joining it.

I motion to run my hand through my hair, but it is tied back and tamed. Instead, I settle for a drink and keep an eagle eye on them.

As soon as the dance finishes, I make my way over to where they are stood. The Atlantean's large, dark eyes meet mine over Elissa's shoulder. His expression seems to say 'beware, for I might just steal her from you'.

Triton's upper lip twitches in amusement and he then has the audacity to languidly kiss Elissa's hand, saying to her, "Until we meet again."

That is MY female. The tiger wants to fight the potential competitor. Rash though I am, even I know that it would not be wise to go up against the Atlantean. Instead I pull Elissa close and my lips seek the solace in the silken contour of her neck.

We should mate, the tiger urges.

Yes, and raise a family, the eagle agrees.

I push them down. No, I will do this the right way.

We manage two whole dances before our peace is interrupted once more. I mean to complain and say 'no more', only this time it is Elissa who is bid away and not me.

There is a lull in the dancing, so I use the opportunity to seek out my friends. We are chatting when a man walks onto stage where the orchestra sit poised, ready to play. I cock my head; if I am not mistaken it is one of the singers from the opera house in Avalon.

Each time we have visited the city of Avalon, Leo has insisted that we attend at least one opera. This chap is one of his favourites. A thoughtful gesture of mother's no doubt.

Personally, I am not so swayed by the singing. Nevertheless, I scan the crowd looking for Elissa as she loves all forms of music. A frown wrinkles my brow when my search is fruitless. Being the tallest woman here, with the possible exception of mother, she should be easy to spot.

With only half an ear I listen, that is until Drake elbows me and a beautiful woman steps onto the stage; my beautiful woman.  Like a white nightingale, Elissa's voice rises, pure and uplifting, while the male's rich voice joins her, weaving in a sinuous dance.

The final notes echo away and the silence is broken by rapturous applause. "Extraordinary!" Drake's exclamation matches my reaction. Demurely Elissa steps back, clearing a space on the stage, which father, mother and Leo fill.

Father gives a speech, thanking everyone for attending and recognising Prince Leonard as his heir, which causes mother to shed a few tears. After kissing Leo's cheeks, father places a circlet of gold upon his head. I am mightily warmed by the sight and also relieved for there is no way that I would wish the mantle of kingship upon my shoulders.

The audience parts to create a space on the dance floor in anticipation of the newly crowned prince's first dance. My feelings of brotherly affection are sorely tested when Leo chooses Elissa as his partner. Out of all the many women here seeking his attention, he had to choose mine.

Perhaps feeling my displeasure, Leo guides Elissa to me as soon as the dance is concluded. My happiness for my brother eclipses any temptation to be petulant and I throw my arms around him.

"Congratulations, Leo. I cannot think of a better person to take over from father, when the time comes."

...............
AN - The music for this chapter is Khachaturian's Masquerade Waltz.

This chapter is dedicated to August_Blue - mid-summer vs mid-winter ball - yours was a bit more eventful 🙄