Little talks

We drove for miles under the night sky. The chilly air blew in a rhythmic way caressing my face in a motherly way. My arms were folded on top of the car's door. my right ear rested on top of them, while my head was facing the empty road.

I have always loved the forest. I don't know if it's the trees or the mountains, but it never seems to fail to surprise me. We drove past millions of pine trees. Some were about ten feet and even bigger. Behind them mountains were huddled together standing tall and unmoving, the tips were covered in soft white snow.

This place was covered with creeks and rivers filled with salmon. When I was young my family and I used to go to Figsson river, one of the largest and prettiest. We used to sit near the dock and play diving contests, I always preferred the swing it made feel happy. I used to watch the water glisten like crystals under the sun's gentle touch. But the best part was watching the night sky.

" If you think too hard that little vein in your forehead might pop"

My head snapped in the direction of Reed's voice I had almost forgotten he was here. My hand unconsciously touched my forehead.

" If you keep your eyes off the road we might crash" I retorted.

He quickly turned his head around clearing his throat at the same time. The whole car was silent for a few minutes, the only noise came from the wind and the chirping of the woods.

" Turn left on the next exit... please"

By doing this we would be further from the forest and home. He hesitated but did as I asked.

" Why exactly are we heading to the plains?"

If we were in another situation I would've told him to shut up and drive, but since he is the one doing me the favor I really can't object.

" There is something I wanna show you"

He raised both of his eyebrows surprised at what I had just said, hell! I was even surprised at my own words.

" If you murder me Karma will get back at you"

" Hahaha" I said it slowly and ironically "We'll see"

We arrived at a big land are surrounded by a circle of trees. The tall dried pieces of wheat moved with the wind, the center of the plain was just dirt and grass. Upon us stood the infinite sky filled with Tiny specks of hope.

We both got out of the car at the same time, closing the doors shut behind us. We walked side by side admiring the beautiful view in front us. We halted at the perfect place, right under the one and only tree inside the land area.

" This is a maple tree." Reed stated as we both took a seat underneath it. Of course it's a maple tree I wanted to say, but his voice won mine. "it's very weird y'know...having wheat grown here, a maple tree and even pine trees! All in the same space."

" That's exactly what I like about this place. It is very unique and strange, like something we don't normally see. I don't think there's anything wrong with things being different from what we are used to." I looked at his eyes flaming curiosity. " This place reminds me that we don't have to be just like everyone." I looked up at the sky "And being different can make us special and beautiful in a mysterious way that some ordinary and regular people don't understand. And that's okay I guess, only some of us have the privilege of making small things seem big and extraordinary."

He stared at me in a way I had never seen him do before. I don't know if it is admiration or realization but something inside me clicks. A strange feeling surfaces at the bottom of my throats and I try to gulp it down.

" You are right I just-"

" Never realized it" I finished for him " It's okay, you are a busy and acclaimed guy it's easy for some things to slip past you"

He gripped his hair tightly In frustration.

" I know, I know I am a busy and acclaimed man" he replied mockingly. I slapped him across the arm.

" Idiot"

He stared down at me all trace of playfulness erased.

" But you are right, I do get blinded and miss things. Very important ones. And I feel stupid and very shallow for that."

I felt the sudden need to change the talk this was getting too serious and I didn't want this to turn into a confession ritual.

" I have always been curious about constellations and horoscopes but I don't really believe in them." He gave me one of his heart-melting sincere smiles. "In spite of that, I keep checking my weekly horoscope in cosmo. That is the only reason why I even bother opening a magazine."

"When I was little my mom bought me this astrology for kids book. It had sounds and little trivia's on the side." He laughed as he said this. "It explained every constellation, its locations, and names. At that time I wanted so badly to be an astronaut." He let out a nostalgic sigh or so I thought.

I never took the chance to observe him with detail. I have always known that he was handsome, ( this is something I would never ever admit to him), but now I see everything with a better perspective. His nose is a great size not small nor big; just right for him. His green eyes have specks of hazel as they shine with the light of the moon. His hair is a golden brown, medium length swept to the side. But what I like about him the most are his faint yet noticeable freckles on the bridge of his nose. They looked just like constellations attached to each other.

" What are you looking at?" His voice startled me. I felt so ashamed I swear my face got hot.

" You had a....umm a butterfly on your cheek." I mentally slapped myself for always saying stupid things. I just don't get why I have the gift of turning every situation into something very awkward.

He laughed. "We should start heading back, it's getting late." I let out a tired sigh in agreement.

As we drove back home I felt this weird sensation after realizing I just had a heart to heart talk with Reed like normal and civilized human beings. I am not used to talking seriously with anyone but my family, and even less with someone like Reed. The only man on the face of this earth with an ego bigger than his head.