"The newbie is a catch.."

NOTE: When I typed this on my computer, various parts were in italics. I don't have time to go back through and add italics, so soorrrry!

"You look fantastic." 

Standing in the doorway of Mara's closet, I couldn't help but feel self-conscious. She'd decided to play dress up for the last few hours; rummaging through her clothes, she had frequently tossed outfit after outfit into my arms. 

Her latest ensemble included a loose white shirt, dark denim skinny jeans, and dark brown boots. She'd piled my dark curls into a messy heap at the base of my neck and tied it with a ribbon. Patting my legs with my palms, I rocked back and forth on my heels. "Really?" 

"Really," she smiled. She'd decided to wear a similar look; with an ivory tank top, cut-off jean shorts, and tan boots, she was a modelesque portrayal of a rural girl. Her golden locks were tossed across her shoulders in thick braids and a cowboy hat sat atop her head. 

A shrilling noise echoed from her room as my cell phone buzzed from the bedside table. "Hello?" 

"Hey," Spenser cooed, his warm voice alluring. 

"What's up," I asked, lying back onto Mara's bed. 

"Liam and I are headed that way, you all ready?" 

"As ready as we'll ever be," I smiled, biting my bottom lip. 

"Be there soon." 

As I hung up, Mara reentered the room. "Spenser?" 

"Yeah. He and Liam are on their way." 

"Cool," She nodded. "This party is going to be awesome." 

"I sure hope so." 

"It will be. The whole gang's finally together again." 

Yeah, finally.

"Where is this place?" 

Sitting in the backseat of Liam's truck with Mara, I stared out the window as we ventured into a largely wooded area. By the time Liam and Spenser had arrived to pick us up, it was already dusk. 

"Fashionably late as always," Mara had muttered to herself when she climbed into Liam's truck. 

"Just a little bit farther," Spenser replied, turning around in the passenger seat so he could give me a smile and wink. "Impatient much," He teased. 

"As always," I murmured. 

"Here we are," Liam announced, swinging his truck into the ditch so he could park behind a line of other large trucks. The sudden jerk of the truck caused me to slam into Spenser's seat; the abrupt motion caused me to gasp loudly as my face collided with the fabric. 

For a moment, my mind drifted back a year.  

"Spenser, could you go get some buns from the store," Mrs. Cristoffe asked. Sitting atop the kitchen counter, I smiled at her. "You can go too Cahlan." 

"Let's go," Spenser said, grabbing my hand. As I jumped down from the counter, I remember my mindset: nothing will happen to me, it can't... 

"Cahlan," Mara's voice broke through my thoughts. "Are you okay?" 

"Yeah," I whispered. Mara reached forward and swatted Liam on the back of the head, "I told you to be careful Li!" 

"I'm sorry, I forgot about your PT--" I interrupted Liam with a wave of my hand. 

"Don't worry about it." You can't let your disorder rule over you, my mind whispered. It has nothing to do with who you are.