"Memories, sweet memories.."

As I snuck in the back door of the lakehouse, I was being especially careful to not make a sound. I'd just closed the door whenever the kithen light flipped on and I slammed backwards into something solid. Letting out an uncontrollable scream, I froze as a hand closed around my mouth. My eyes grew wide and I began to kick my legs backward, making contact with the person's shins.

     "Ow Cahlan, goodness!" River was kneeling down to examine his bare shins. Running a hand across his legs, he narrowed his eyes at me. "What were you doing out there this late?"

   Unvoluntarily, my eyes drifted to the clock hanging on the wall behind him. Twelve thirty... What could I have been doing at twelve thirty...

    "Talking to someone,"I said slowly, staring at my hands.

    "And how is Spenser?" 

    "He's good." 

    "Be careful around that boy, Cahlan," River warned, biting his bottom lip.

    "Why does everyone keep saying that," I asked, taking a seat at the kitchen table.

    "Things aren't the same anymore."

   "So I've heard." 

I pressed the old rotary phone closer to my ear, struggling to hear Mrs. Cristoffe's voice over all the static. Ever since I'd arrived at the marina earlier that morning, she'd managed to call every hour to make sure things were running smoothly. The summer prior to the accident, I'd been labeled as "manager" over the Cristoffe's marina, considering none of the family could be there more than a few days a week. Therefore they picked their loner of a neighbor to do the dirty work.

    I never really minded working at the marina, it was kind of fun actually. I got to sit around in a bathing suit and short shorts all day; I could lay out and tan when we weren't busy, and of course meeting new people was a perk too.

    So there I was, my first day back, and Mrs. Cristoffe was already worried.

   "If you feel tired or feel like you can't do it, call Spenser and he can take over," She said, concern filling her words. Spenser was out on the lake giving tours to local tourists that morning. He hated that part of his job, always have to chauffeur people around. He hated it with every fiber in his body.

   "I'll be fine," I assured her, doodling in a notebook on the counter. The day had been passing very slowly; due to the local carnival in town, nobody wanted to hang out on the lake. Not that I blamed them, I'd probably choose riding carnival rides and eating expensive greasy food over boating as well.

    "Alright, well I'll leave you alone. Call me if you need anything." After I hung up with Madelie, I checked my email and booked two boating trips for the next weekend. It was only Friday and I was going stir crazy. After stocking shelves full of trail mix and candy, I piddled around and began to dust the place.

   This place is filthy, I thought as I ran a hand across the wooden desk. When was the last time Spenser or his brothers dusted? Probably never.

   Later on as I sat staring at the ceiling fan, I couldn't help but think of the previous night with Spenser on the dock. Had he really meaned what he said? Did he truly care about me, or was he merely making up for leaving me behind so long ago?

   Despite his attempts to make me believe otherwise, Spenser's words still left behind doubts. They lingered in my head, waiting to strike when I least wanted them to.

   Laying my head on my arms, I let out a sigh and pressed my face against the warm wood of the desk. The sound of footsteps approaching the marina caused me to sit upright, as soon as Mara Lange and her boyfriend stepped through the door.