Chapter 7: Founders Party

Start from the beginning

As the night went on I hung out with Bonnie and we had a lot of fun. We talked a lot and danced until our feet started to hurt. We parted for the second time and I went off to look at all of the loaned items that were donated by members of the founders council.

When I got to the first registry, I found Elena and Stefan. "Hey guys," I said softly and they greeted me back with smiles.

"The founding families in Mystic Falls welcomes you to the inaugural founder's council celebration.' Wow, look, it's the original guest registry. Look at all these familiar names—Sheriff William Forbes, Mayor Benjamin Lockwood. Is that Damon Salvatore? And, Stefan Salvatore?" Elena said, her voice changing from fascination to confusion.

"Huh?" I  furrowed my brows and squinted at the signatures.

"The original Salvatore brothers. Our ancestors. Tragic story, actually," Damon had spoken up, joining the conversation. I whipped around to see him and Caroline walking toward us.

"We don't need to bore them with stories of the past," Stefan spoke, staring at Damon like he was trying to tell him a secret message.

"It's not boring, Stefan. I'd love to hear more about your family," Elena gushed, smiling at him.

"Yeah, I'm actually curious. Does your family have the obsession with the names 'Stefan and Damon'? Is there a significance as to why the names are passed down?" I asked Stefan partially joking but mainly curious.

"Well, I'm bored. I want to dance. And Damon won't dance with me," Caroline playfully pouted. She looked to Elena and cheekily asked, "Could I just borrow your date?"

"Oh, uh... I was actually going to dance with him," Elena spoke awkwardly.

"I don't really dance." Stefan murmured to Elena, coming across as uncomfortable.

Damon smirked at Stefan's uncomfortableness and commented, "Oh, sure he does. You should see him. Waltz, the jitterbug, the moonwalk. He does it all."

"I guess I'll just hang with Bonnie." Caroline grumbled solemnly before leaving.

"We're going to go and dance, will you be okay Arina?" Elena asked as her eyes flickered between Damon and I.

"Yeah. I'll be fine," I said plastering a fake smile on my face. Stefan stared at me cautiously like the other day before they left. As soon as they were gone it was just Damon and I.

There was a peaceful moment of silence that unfortunately was broken by Damon, who cleared his throat and seriously said, "You were right earlier and I want to apologize to you for being such a world-class jerk the other night when I encouraged you to kiss me. There's no excuse which is why I'm glad we didn't. My therapist says I'm...Acting out, trying to punish others. Especially Stefan."

"Why are you trying to punish Stefan?" I questioned. How would him kissing me punish Stefan? If anything it would be punishing Caroline.

"It's all in the past. I don't even want to bring it up...Let's just say that the men in the Salvatore family have been cursed with sibling rivalry. And it all started with the original Salvatore brothers," He spoke honestly. I didn't notice until now but we were awfully close.

"Sibling feuds are normal, believe it or not. I accept your apology, by the way." I smiled softly. This was the Damon I met the other night! It wasn't just a facade. He seemed genuine.

"The Salvatore name was practically royalty in this town. Until the war. There was a battle here—" Damon said, referring to the past.

"The Battle of Willow Creek," I cut him off.