Angels To Fly - AA 🏈

Start from the beginning

"Cause we're just under the upper hand, go mad for a couple grams. And she don't want to go outside tonight."

Archie was the only one who knew what really happened that day. You were at the lake that morning, capturing photos for the Blue and Gold. You were trudging through the muddy forest when you spotted Ms Grundy's car. You investigated further to find Ms Grundy and Archie making out. Archie had spotted you and said something to the Music teacher before running towards you. You ran the other way, not wanting to confront your friend after your heart just broke. You tripped and fell, only to hear a gunshot. Archie was catching up to you. You got up and started sprinting around the lake. You stopped suddenly when you saw a red-haired figure screaming and bobbing up and down in the water. You were the one that found her. You immediately recognised that scream and drop your stuff.

"In a pipe, she flies to the Motherland or sells love to another man. It's too cold outside for angels to fly. Angels to fly."

"Cheryl!" You shouted in panic as Archie finally caught up and stared at the poor girl in horror, frozen in shock. You pulled your shoes and socks off frantically as well as your shirt and jeans. You dive in and swam as quickly as you can. "Cheryl." You grabbed her as she sobbed and screamed. You pulled her to shore and hugged her as tight as you can. "Cheryl, what happened?" She looked at you and you could tell she was broken.

"Ripped gloves, raincoat. Tried to swim and stay afloat. Dry house, wet clothes."

"It's Jason. He's gone." All you could do was hug her, letting her sob into your shoulder. You felt your heart break as your best friend continued to let out strangled screams. Archie just stood and stared, looking at you with warning and anger yet desperation.

"Archie, call the cops!" You hissed at him, taking out your anger from what you had seen just before. Jason's body wasn't found until a week after school went back by Kevin and Moose, with a bullet hole straight through his head. Cheryl admitted that Jason was trying to run away with Polly, but he never made it to where he was trying to go. Cheryl didn't tell anyone that Archie was there, knowing of the love affair he was involved in. She told everyone that you were the one that found her and you were the only one there, making you a prime suspect.

"Loose change, bank notes. Weary-eyed, dry throat. Call girl, no phone."

All the jocks would bully you. Murderer, Druggie, Lost Cause. Your life was a mess. Archie didn't stick up for you like he used to. He watched you timidly walk down the halls, trying to avoid anyone. The jocks would yell at you, Cheryl would stare at you with a mixture of sadness and longing adjourned on her face, Jughead looked like he was trying not to punch them and the rest of your friends silently missed you. Archie watched you get pushed around and yelled at until you were nearly in tears and he wanted to do something. His heart and his conscience were both screaming for him to do anything. But he was a coward and he knew if he tried, he would reveal the revolting truth of what really happened that summer. You watched him as you were verbally abused and knocked to the ground, pleading silently that he would do something, but he just avoided eye contact. Not even a year ago, Archie would have beaten up someone for bullying you. You knew he loved you like a sister, but you cared about him more than that. You were in love with Archie Andrews and you thought he didn't care about you anymore.

"And they say, she's in the Class A Team, stuck in her daydream. Been this way since eighteen, but lately, her face seems slowly sinking wasting, crumbling like pastries. And they scream, the worst things in life come free to us. Cause we're just under the upper hand and go mad for a couple grams. And she don't want to go outside tonight. And in a pipe, she flies to the Motherland or sells love to another man, it's too cold outside. For angels to fly, an angel will die, covered in white. Closed eye and hoping for a better life. This time, we'll fade out tonight, straight down the line." You continue to strum, finally allowing tears to fall. You had held in your pain for so long. For your parents, for Cheryl, for your friends, for your bullies, for your teachers, for everyone around you because they expects you to be perfect. Well, you weren't and you are finally letting go.

"And they say, she's in the Class A Team, stuck in her daydream. Been this way since eighteen, but lately, her face seems slowly sinking wasting, crumbling like pastries. They scream, the worst things in life come free to us." Unbeknownst to you, before you had entered the Music Room, Archie had been strumming his own guitar and singing about you. His true feelings that he had been hiding for years, were now composed into a song. Archie had hidden after hearing footsteps. He saw you grab a sticker-covered guitar case and open it, revealing a beautiful dark red acoustic guitar. Archie is shocked. You know that he played and he wonders why you didn't tell him about your secret talent. As you start to strum and your voice echos around the room, goosebumps spread over his arms and his face began to heat up. Your voice is beautiful and angelic. He loves your singing and he feels that his life was empty before hearing you sing. He wants to duet with you and experiment with songwriting together. He watches you in awe as you continue to sing, tears streaming down your face and your heart aching. You are so passionate and he knows the song comes from your heart and soul.

"And we're all under the upper hand, go mad for a couple grams. And we don't want to go outside tonight." Archie shuffles around a bit since his foot is falling asleep and knocks over a cymbal causing it to go crashing to the floor. You stop abruptly, wiping your tears, standing up and turning around before freezing in fear. Archie's eyes met yours and you quickly place your guitar away in its case and back into its hidden spot behind one of the cupboards. You grab your bag and sprint out of the room.

"Y/N!" Archie tries to yell after you, but it was too late, you were gone. Archie sighs, standing up before walking towards a notebook you had left on the bench. Your songbook.

(Word Count including synopsis: 1785 words)