Chapter 1: Beginnings & I

A princess sits on a throne of glass.

A prince stands on a tower of sand.

Sand will crumble and ice will melt, but love will always be there.

***

"I was never close to my family, but I don't really like them or dislike them either. Not in the whole, "they beat me, they yell at me, they kick me out" sort of scenario. It's just that... Rather than a family, we live like housemates.

I've never referred to my parents as "mum" or "dad", they've never referred to me as "my daughter" or "my girl". As soon as I hit 13, I was cooking my own meals and studying by myself. At 16 I was paying my share of the rent.

Yes, it may be a little weird, but to me it's practical. As they paid for my primary education and my meals during my early childhood, it's only fair. I can't say that I haven't wished for more loving parents before, but then again there are some kids out there with no parents at all."

***

Arriving at the Lloyd mansion could be compared to arriving at Buckingham palace- minus the soldiers in the fluffy hats. As I gaze at the garden's pristine marble walkways and well-kept shrubbery, the maid-who had been picking up one of my suitcases- accidentally drops it onto the gravel.

"Can you not even carry a suitcase correctly!? God, the impracticality of hiring people like you." I spit at the woman, who returns my spite with big, brown, watery eyes.

Ah crap, I did it again.

I have a nasty habit. A habit of being nasty. I don't know what comes over me, it seems like hostility and hatred just come out of my mouth like toothpaste out of a tube. Immediately afterwards, i feel like rolling on the floor and crying with the shame and regret of my quick temper.

The maid, probably only a bit older than twenty, looks as though she's about to burst into tears. Sighing, I grab the bag from her. "I can... carry this bag. If you get the other one you would be of great help." I look away from her sheepishly.

Apologise, damn it!

"That's not necessary, Miss! Please- let me carry them!" She shakes her head profusely, moving towards me to take the bag back, but I take a step away.

"My name is Leighton."

She looks up at me in a manner of surprise. Then looks down. Then back up.

I click my tongue in annoyance. "Yes it's a boy's name, you idiot, now stop slobbering."

"I-I didn't mean it like that-"

"You can call me Leigh." I pick my second suitcase out of the car and hand it to her, nervously avoiding her imperative gaze yet again. "You could at least tell me your name in return."

She gratefully takes the bag from me, a kind but tentative smile spreading across her face. "My name's Kenna."

Relaxing my shoulders, I return her smile. "It's... nice to meet you, Kenna."

***

Okay, scratch what I said about arriving at the Lloyd mansion, walking into it is twice as... confronting. Kenna, noticing my taken aback expression, takes my empty arm in hers.

"It's alright to be a bit scared, Miss Leigh. I was the same when it was my first day on the job here." She pats my arm reassuringly.

"Did I ask for your life story?"