Jasper Hale Part 3: Safe and Sound (1)

Part 3: Safe and Sound

I’d been in the forest for two hours now. I watch snow fall from the sky and allow myself to become detached from the world. Startlingly, I am crashing back to reality when I hear Jasper call, “Alex.”

I near fall out of the tree seeing him next to me, but his hands wrap around me and pull me to him to stop me from falling. He puts his hand on my cheek and brings his lips to mine. I don’t right back because I’ve wanted this, but I also know what I have to say after this. 

After the kiss I say, “You shouldn’t have done that. You don’t really love me, you can’t.”

“You can’t be sure,” He tells me. 

“You’re pitying me,” I object. “You feel bad that I met you acting as a boy and that you didn’t remember me.”

“I can prove I’m not,” He objects. 

“If that is true, wait. Give me some time, and if you love me back when the time is right, I’ll accept it.”

“Alright,” Jasper says placing me on the branch so I am steady this time. 

------

Things are awkward for the few more months that we spend in Alaska. Jasper and I still talk, but less than before - now he might be avoiding me. One day, while I am sitting on my bed there is a knock on the door and I already know who it is, “What is it, Jasper?” 

“Bella, Alice, and Edward are with the Volturi,” Jasper tells me entering my room. 

I put down the book I’m reading, “How do you know?”

“Michael was left a note by Alice. He just got back from hunting and showed it to me.”

“Where are the others?” 

“Esme and Carlisle are preparing our flights,” He replied. “Emmett and Rosalie are packing so we might as well do that too.”

I nod and begin to fill a small suitcase with clothes. That evening we are at the airport and board a connecting flight that is to New York. I sit between Emmett and Jasper.They are poking each other so I stay pressed against my seat not wanting to take part in their childish game. “How long until we get there?” I ask Rosalie. 

She looks at me sympathetically, no one would want to between to childish grown vampires on a plane - who never have to sleep and endless time on their hands, “About thirty minutes until we get to New York and three more hours to get to Florence.” 

We land and rush to make it on time for our flight to Florence, Italy. This time I sit between Rosalie and Jasper. I think about what will happen once we get to Italy and instantly I am scared. For years I’ve been hiding from the Volturi and surely they know of me now. 

I forget that Jasper is next to me and can sense my fear. I jump when he places a hand on my shoulder, “What’s wrong?” 

“The Volturi,” I whisper aware nosy humans might be listening. 

“What about them?” 

“I’ve been avoiding them. They might hurt me,” I tell him. 

“Why?” 

“Because Carmen and Eleazar didn’t bring me to them and they’ll want to use me for my power,” I admit. 

“You’ll be fine,” Jasper assures me. 

I shake my head, “They’ll get me.”

“We won’t go near the castle,” He promised me. “You’ll be safe.” 

I give a short nod and a small smile before looking at the dark night that has engulfed the plane. It won’t be that much longer until we are in Italy. Until, I am going to be on edge until we are gone. 

It’s late when we get to Italy. We reach Volterra at about one in the morning. The others are going to the castle to pick up Bella, Alice, and Edward. Jasper and I are staying back at the outskirts of the city and will be following them in another car to the airport.

It’s thirty minutes of suspense that we see the car Rosalie hijacked to pick up Bella. We follow them to the airport. We are on a flight back to New York. Then, on another back to Fork, Washington. 

Bella is asleep the whole time. Edward is next to her, watching her intently. 

“It wasn’t that bad, was it?” Jasper asks. 

I shake my head, “I was still terrified.”

“I know. Empath remember?” He chuckled. 

“I can’t help it,” I tell him. “The Volturi are scary.”

“That’s their job,” He rolls his eyes. 

“I know, but I don’t like it.”

“That’s another part of their job.”

“They have a lot of jobs,” I giggle. 

“Easy jobs.”

I nod in agreement.