Jasper Hale Part 2: Hopeless (1)

Part 2: Hopeless

**140 years later**

I had spent the past 100 years exploring Canada. I knew Eleazar, Carmen and the rest of my original coven had moved to Denali. I decided that I would pay them a visit. There was one problem with seeing them. It reminded me of my past... of Jasper Whitlock. The one that got away. 

The times I have visited the Denali’s they always tell me I need to find a mate because I always look sad. This time I have tried to look my happiest for them with my surprise visit. I knock on the door and a blond vegetarian vampire opens the door. I have never seen him in my whole existence, “I’m Alex, are Eleazar and Carmen here?”

“Alex!” Carmen calls from behind the man. “We weren’t expecting you!” 

Eleazar is beside her and greets me. I ask about the man who answered the door and the guy next to him. 

“That is Carlisle and his ‘adoptive’ son, Edward Cullen,” Eleazar explains.

“Hi,” I greet them.

“Edward is a mind reader, and Carlisle is a doctor,” Tanya adds coming downstairs. 

“Are you a nomad?” Carlisle asks me. 

“For the most part,” I nod. “Is it just you and Edward?”

Carlisle shakes his head, “My mate, Esme, is out hunting with the others. Alice is a physic and her ex-mate, Jasper, who is an empath; there is Emmett and Rosalie who are mates too.”

A feel Carmen put a hand on my back at the name Jasper. All of the Denali coven knows what memories it brings back to me. Jasper has been dead for more than one-hundred years I should be over it, but I feel so empty. 

That was another reason why Kate and Tanya wanted me to have a mate so badly. Suddenly, I looked up to Edward, realizing Edward could hear all of this. He was looking at me with one emotions - pity. I didn’t like it, but it was the normal reaction I got. 

Carlisle noticed the glance. “What is it?” 

“I’m not exactly sure,” Edward told him.

“She meet this guy named Jasper when she was a human, but he was killed just before Eleazar and I found her,” Carmen explained. 

I sighed trying to suppress the horrible memory of that officer coming to the camp to tell me Jasper had been missing. 

“I’m going to hunt,” I sigh leaving before anyone can reply. 

As I’m running though the snowy woods a small figure appears to stop me. I have to stop abruptly and just avoid colliding with the vampire. She is a few inches shorter than me, is a vegetarian vampire and has short, spiky and inky hair. “I’m Alice!” 

“Hi, I’m Alex,” I greet.

“I know that, I’m part of Carlisle’s coven!”

“Oh you’re the physic!” I note.

“Just know that things will get better. Be happy, you don’t know all the details, but you will when I see you again.” 

“I’m go-”

“Trust me,” She beams. 

My hunting plans are ruined after she leaves, I have a ton on my mind now. I decide that there is only one place I need to go: Houston, Texas. Jasper’s grave is there with many other Confederate soldiers and officers. 

ALICE’S P.O.V.

After Alex is gone, I know the future is slowly setting it’s self up. I look at Jasper who has just caught a bear. I give a small smile knowing what will come. This was one of the reasons I had to tell him we couldn’t be mates anymore. 

Also, I had a mate of my own to find. Hopefully, I’d find him before our move to Forks, Washington. I’d had a few visions of him. Rosalie was giddy when I told her both of my reasons. She wanted to meet Jasper’s new mate and she wanted to help me look fabulous for when I meet mine. 

Jasper has gotten over the separation, at first it was awkward, but I think Edward explained part of my reasoning to him. A week after the breakup he explained to me that he had been feeling like something had been missing; not since we broke up, but ever since he could remember. 

ALEX’S P.O.V.

I had made it down to Jasper’s grave: 

Jasper Whitlock. 1840-1863. 

Texas Confederate Major.

If I had tears I would let them escape as I stared at the engraved text. I took some pink cherry blossom flowers and framed the grave with them. Then, I got up and left.