Jasper Hale Part 2: Hopeless (5)

-5-

Forks, Washington was my new home. I saw this as purgatory and Edward tried to convince me that things would get better, but I didn’t see how. Although I talked to the others and Bella, I avoided Jasper as much as possible.

Tonight was Forks High School’s prom. Rosalie and Alice’s efforts to convince me to go had failed to no avail. “You still don’t want to go?” Alice asks coming down stairs in a cutout black dress. Rosalie is behind her in a purple gown. 

“I’m positive. I don’t even go to the school. Plus, I don’t want to have a few casualties while I’m there,” I admit. 

“You’d be fine,” She presses. 

“I’m fine here. I can water the plants!”

“We don’t have any plants to water,” Jasper chuckles from the door way. He looks amazing tonight - regardless that is how he looks all the time. His hair is not as messy as always and he is in a black tux that matches Edward and Emmett’s. 

“You sure you don’t want to go?” Rosalie asks. 

“I’ll bake a cake,” I suggest.

“You don’t know how to cook,” Emmett snorts. 

“Then, I will watch television and if the power goes out I will make a campfire,” I sigh annoyed by their efforts to convince me to go even though it is with my best interest at thought. “Besides, you’ll be late if you don’t get Bella now.”

“Fashionably late,” Alice beams.

As they all leave, Jasper stops in the door frame, “I think I’ll cause more casualties than you.”

“No you won’t, Jasper,” I roll my eyes. “I’m ridiculous, I’ve never killed a human, but I always fell like I will and always have to be stopped. You have an excuse.”

“I’m not going if you don’t go,” He says.

“That’s not fair. Did Alice put you up to this?” I frown. 

“No, but I still won’t go if you don’t,” He says.

“We’ll be extremely late,” I tell him.

“Just shy of fashionably late,” He corrects. 

“Fine,” I roll my eyes. “Go tell Alice you’ve convinced me into going.”

I run upstairs to my room to see an eggshell colored ruffle dress with thin spaghetti straps on my bed. On top is a note:

I knew he’d convince you. -Alice

I roll my eyes. I slip the dress on and decide to French braid my hair, and skip using makeup. Then, I go downstairs and see Jasper smiling, “You look lovely.”

I would’ve blushed, “Thanks, you look handsome.”

“See playing dress up isn’t that hard,” He chuckles.

“The hard part is not killing anyone,” I reply bitterly. 

“You’ll be fine,” He assures me. 

Within five minutes we are at the school and the prom is already in full action. Some of the boys are staring at me and I feel really awkward and nervous by their gazes - staring at me like I’m a piece of meat. Especially a boy who I’ve heard Bella complain about, Mike Newton. 

I stay by Jasper’s side afraid I’ll be jumped if I leave. Secretly, I’m enjoying him being so nice to me, but I can’t understand why. It makes me suspicious, but I am loving that he is next to me. It makes me forget the reason I have been avoiding him. Tonight. I can give him that, after weeks of pointlessly avoid him. 

Obviously, he doesn’t know why I’m avoiding him. He couldn’t remember me if he tried because I was acting as someone else. 

We find the others sitting at a table and Alice smiles at me and winks when Jasper isn’t looking. I shake my head wanting to laugh at her childish attempts. “You guys should dance,” Alice suggest when I sit next to her. 

“I’m not much of a dancer and all the guys here scare me. It looks like they want to eat me,” I admit. 

“Dancing isn’t that hard and the guys probably are just bored and looking for something new and female,” Rosalie rolls her eyes. “Emmett and I will be with you if you are worried about being attacked by a mob of guys.”

I sigh, I’m losing a lot tonight, “Alright.”

I get up with Jasper and Emmett and Rosalie join us. 

“Dancing is easy,” Jasper tells me. I just shrug as a response. 

As the next song comes on and we start dancing, so old memories from dancing come into my mind. When I was about twelve or thirteen at my aunt’s wedding they were teaching me how to dance. 

When the song was over Jasper asks, “So you can’t dance?”

I shrug.

“That was amazing for someone who can’t dance.”

ALEX’S DRESS: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/baklava-beauty-dress