Jasper Hale Part 2: Hopeless (3)

-3-

I am walking out off an elderly patient’s room when I bump into a small figure, “Sorry-” I realize who it is. 

At the same instance, she realizes who I am, “Alex? What are you doing here?”

“I’m a nurse here. You’re here because of Bella?” I ask. 

She nods and suggests, “You should meet the rest of the family!” 

“I’m busy right now,” I lie trying to avoid it. I am already plagued by haunting memories and seeing the one guy, Jasper, would just be like cutting a fresh wound every time I talked to him.

I quickly turn the corner, in a daze deciding to go check on Bella. I am lost in my thoughts when I bump into a tall figure and nearly fall, but the person’s hand reaches out to stop me. “Sorry,” A deep voice with a familiar southern drawl speaks. 

I freeze, look up, and nearly squeak. It’s him... alive, but how? He is gorgeous, his long blond hair was shining, his eyes were not blue anymore, but the same golden as mine. Also, his skin matched my own pale, chalky tone. “It’s fine,” I manage to say, not able to hold back my own southern drawl.

“Are you alright?” He asks. This was Jasper... I remember Carlisle saying that he was an empath, he must sense my nervousness and shock. Then, I realize, he has never know me, only the boy that I pretended to be.

I give a curt nod, before I run around the corner and into an empty intensive care unit room. I hide and hear him pass the room not able to find me. I’ve worked hard at masking myself so I could avoid the Volturi. I was thankful for that now. I couldn’t face Jasper right now. 

I stopped him from sensing my emotions, by using my power of being a mirror - reflecting his emotions back on himself. I lock the door and look out the window to see the night life of Phoenix. Cars in traffic and bright lights. A crowd of people coming in and out of the strip mall that is next to the hospital. 

There is a knock on the door, but I ignore it. First of all, I can sense it is a vampire. Secondly, if it was a hospital worker, he could easily just use the keycard we all have to get into a locked room. 

I look down to my wrist moving my long, blond hair out of my face. I wished I could cry, but I haven’t been able to for years. I looked back down to my wrist and trace the scar on my wrist.

It was given to me by the people who most likely turned Jasper. He had so many scar on him. He was a fighter as a human and as a vampire. 

I wanted to hurt every vampire who had ever given him a scar like that. I’d been bitten as a vampire and it stung like it would if a human were to be stung by five bees in a row. I was thankful he survived the vampire wars, but he didn’t know me. He’d probably never love me. 

He had been with Alice and for all I know maybe he still loved her even though they were ex-mates now. 

I trace the crescent shaped scar thinking back to that night.

It was black as pitch one late evening, when I was alone, watching Oklahoma’s southern border where I saw a stunningly beautiful woman. Putting on my act, and lowering my voice I said, “Excuse me miss, but you should find shelter, it isn’t safe to be out.”

“Then, why are you out here, soldier?” The blonde retorted. She had skin as pale as the moon, gleaming sharp white teeth. She reminded me of a venus fly trap, I wonder if she was truly vicious. 

I knew many soldiers would fall for the lure of her trap. Thankfully, I was acting a a boy so I didn’t have to worry of being deceived. 

For some reason the hair on the back of my neck is sticking up. Maybe this woman was a ghost. I got a bad vibe from her. One that made me extremely nervous. “I’m patrolling the Texas-Oklahoma border to make it safe for everyone, women and children alike. You should find shelter.”

“What’s your name?”

“Colonel Alex, ma’am,” I replied. 

She approached me and I had to remember to act as a man even though I’d rather go run to Jem. She sniffed the air as if she were an animal. It scared me. I had never seen a soldier or any other human being do that before. 

“You seem more lanky than most of the men around here,” She notes. “How did you manage such a high ranking?”

“I’m small, but I do a lot of damage,” I tell her trying to get over my fears.She is a woman. Soldiers are taught to not fear woman. Which was absurd, considering I was one. 

She gets hold of my wrist and her hands are freezing cold!  She then, bites my wrist and I can not tell if this a dream or reality. A shooting pain in my wrist tells me this is 100% real. I hiss in pain. 

“NETTIE!” A soprano voice screams. The woman is pushed away from me and another blond with curly hair approaches me. Her hands are like ice too. She bites my wrists, but I can feel the burning starting to stop. 

Before I can ask, I am hit over the head and I collapse to the ground.

That was my only encounter with Nettie and Lucy. It was also my first encounter with the supernatural. 

I wondered what they did to Jasper. There was a third in their group according to Eleazar, Maria who was the leader. Also, she was the only one still alive.I wanted her dead after finding out Jasper was alive. I was grateful, but she caused him pain.