Jasper Hale Part 2: Hopeless (6)

-6-

We return home and it is probably eleven at night. I was able to restrain myself, although the whole time I was worried about being jumped. Edward was smirking every time I thought back to a moment with Jasper. I was sitting on the couch with Edward and Rosalie. Emmett was on the floor with Jasper. 

We had the television muted and Alice was sitting on the stairs with Esme next to her who was sketching away. Carlisle was in a cushioned chair in the corner of the room with a thick book on his lap. 

“Stop that,” I tell Edward who was smirking at me. “Don’t you have a Bella to run to?” 

He rolls his eyes. “Actually, we have to go help Bella-” Alice stops in mid-sentence sharing a panicked glance with Edward. 

I sit on the edge of the cushion waiting to hear about what they are seeing. Alice drops the small phone in her hand and it tumbles down the stairs onto the wooden floor. 

There are a few seconds of silence before Alice blinks and looks around the room. She stands up and runs out the door. 

“What happened?” Rosalie asks. 

“Alice is leaving,” Edward announces.

“What?!” Everyone says at the same time. Edward just waits for something to happen. 

“Is anyone going after her?” I ask. “Where is she going?”

Edward shrugs. 

“Edward she told you something,” I note. Again, Edward shrugs. I huff and get up to go after Alice. 

“She left you a note,” Edward says.

“Why me?” I ask. 

“She had a few things to explain,” He tells me. 

“Where is this note?” I ask.

“In you room, I assume,” He shrugs. 

I run upstairs to my room to see a note on the back of my door:

Meet me in the clearing. With Jasper. -Alice

With Jasper? Why? I call, “Jasper!” He is upstairs within a few seconds. “Looks like we have to go to the clearing.” 

“Looks like it,” He agrees. 

We go out the back door and walk into the misty clearing. It is midnight and the vegetation surround the clearing is covered in dew to be ready for tomorrow morning’s harsh sun. Alice’s tiny figure is standing in the clearing. 

“Why are you leaving Alice?” I ask. 

“I have to find my own mate,” She admits. 

“Awhile ago you told me to ‘Be happy’ and that I’d know all the details when I saw you again, what did that mean?” I ask.

“You met her before?” Jasper asks.

“In Alaska right before we moved here,” Alice answers. “You’ll see what I meant soon.”

“Alice,” I whined. 

“It’ll be very clear,” She promises. “I’ll be back before Bella’s birthday, okay?”

I nod. She is gone before either of us have a chance to say goodbye. We walk into the house and join the others. They all heard what happened so there is no need to repeat everything.

“It’ll be fine-”

“Please, stay out of my head right now,” I tell Edward. “Let’s just go to Bella, since Alice is gone I’ll go help Bella and you can be the ninja boyfriend that Charlie doesn’t know is have smexy time with Bella.”

“You know that Bella and I don’t do-”

I laugh cutting him off, “I know that. You are too prudy to do that to Bella.”

“Prudy?” He retorts.

“Yeah, I think if she wanted to she could probably get you going, but you are just resisting,” I tell him.

I hear Rosalie, Emmett, and Jasper on the couch laughing. 

“You are ridiculous,” He replies. 

I roll my eyes, “Am I? Let’s go, or I could spend the night with Bella and you could give her a shower.” 

“Don’t push it, Alex,” Edward warns.

“Fine, but Charlie doesn’t know me, so consider it if he kicks me out.”

“He won’t kick you out,” Edward rolls his eyes. “You have to drive because he’ll be looking on the drivers side.”

He tosses me the keys to his Volvo. “The boring mobile,” I snicker and leave the house with him. 

“Once you get a car, I’ll mock it,” Edward retorted childishly. 

I roll my eyes at him, “Oh really?”

“Yeah, really.”