Chapter Eleven - Get a grip

Anna POV

      I came home to find Michael sitting on my porch, "What's up stranger?" I said as I approached him.

"Yeah," he smiled, " we haven't spoken in awhile, Ash had me busy."

"I see that," I responded as I grabbed my bag and got out the car.

I walked up to him and gave him a hug, " How she been treating you?" I asked releasing the embrace.

"Good," she smiled slightly, "abit clingy but, ya know." I laughed.

"So how are things? You been really busy with that jerk Jacob," he stated as he placed his hands in his pockets.

My mood changed. "Jacob is not a jerk, he's actually a good guy," i snapped, "if you would take your head out your butt and get to know him you would know that."

"I don't need to get to know him to know he's a jerk," he snapped back, "why are you so defensive?"

"because he's my friend, don't be so insensitive," I responded.

"Oh? So, I'm insensitive," he responded sharply, " well if I'm so insensitive maybe we shouldn't be friends."

"Maybe not !" I said as I turned on my heel, stormed inside and slammed the door behind me. 

"Im home," I called when I got inside,having seen my mom's car in the driveway.

"In the kitchen," she called back. I walked into the kitchen and sat on a bar stool as I watched her stir whatever she was cooking.It was a strange sight to me, I can't remember the last time I saw her cook.

"Michael came by just now for you," she said as she reached into the upper cabinets for some plates.

"I know.....I saw him outside and we had a little argument," I responded.

Realizing I didn't want to talk about it she dropped the topic. "Some letters came for you today," she said as she gestured towards a pile of white envelopes.

I grabbed the envelopes and started looking through the pile, I knew exactly what they were..........letters from colleges.

I found one with Jacob's name on it and slowly opened it as I kept my fingers crossed. 

He wasn't accepted.

I decided to wait until he had gotten accepted into one before I told him about writing applications on his behalf.

I placed Jacob's letter to a side and picked up one with my name on it. Princeton University. My heart pounded as I ripped open the envelope with my index finger. 

I unfolded the paper scanning it through and the phrase, " you have been accepted" stared me in the face. 

Excited I got up as I jumped around, "Omg,omg,omg.....I got in," I screamed.

My mother turned with a wide smile on her face, " Harvard?" she asked.

"No ! Princeton," I responded, " I never wanted to go to Harvard, that was where you and dad wanted for me."

"Well I guess both of us are stepping up and making our own decisions," she smiled as she slid a brown envelope my direction. I grabbed the envelope and pulled out various documents and at the bottom were signed divorce papers.

"Wow," I said as I looked over the paper, I was happy that she finally stopped letting dad walk over her but it would be weird not having my dad around.

"Andddd....." she said pleased with herself as she showed me another document. I looked over it and saw a business plan for a business in New York and an apartment.

I smiled as I watched my mom being excited about something for the first time in a long time, it was new for me.

I grabbed my phone and ran upstairs. I couldn't wait to tell Michael about my acceptance into Princeton. We had planned to go there together.

I pulled up Michael's name on the chat and I started to type in my excited news.......but I remembered about our argument and slowly deleted the typed message.

JACOB POV

I sat in Chemistry class with August and Issa as we talked about te All-Star game we had all watched the night before.

"Yo, man that game was crazy," August said excitedly as he reenacted some of the plays.

Issa and I sat laughing as we watched his 'fancy footwork.' Soon I saw Issa and August's facial expressions change. "Can I talk to you a minute?" I heard from above me. I looked up and there stood Becca.

"Talk," I said coldly.

She looked around nervously as everyone laid their eyes on her. "Um....in private please?" she pleaded.

I placed my hands on the large wheels of my chair and rolled out leading the way. We stood outside the class in the hallway. 

"I don't know where to start," she said nervously.

"Pick a time and a place," I said coldly. I had given up on Becca, I was sick of her trying to use me as an accessory. 

"Look...Jake I'm sorry, I really miss you I know I've been selfish," she said pleading with her eyes, "Can we get back together?"

"And what about Micah?" I asked uninterested in her need for a pity party.

" Me and him aren't meant to be Jake, you and I are meant to be," she said with a slight smile.

"Bullshit," I said as I turned and rolled away. Just as I reached the door of the class Anna arrived for class.

"What's up Jake, how ya feeling?" she asked as she held the door for me.

I smiled and rolled into Chemistry. I felt accomplished. I think I'm over Becca.