Chapter Nine - Real friends

Anna POV

After leaving the hospital, Issa offered me a ride home after noticing I hadn't driven. Tori climbed in the passenger seat and I got in the back seat and Megan and August drove in Megan's car. 

Issa pulled up to my house. "Wow, this is huge," he remarked.

"Yeah, almost as huge as Jake's," Tori agreed in awe,

It was then I noticed they have never been by my home. 

"It's not a big deal," I smiled as I got out and thanked them for the ride. 

I got inside to notice that dad wasn't home. "Where's dad?" I asked my mom as I walked in the kitchen. I was too tired to care but I wondered if mother suspected anything.

"He had a meeting," she responded simply.

"What do you mean, he had a meeting?" I asked in disbelief, "you two work together, if he has a meeting, shouldn't you be at the meeting?" I was getting annoyed, my mom was no fool she had to know something was up.

"Well....it's complicated," she said as she continued making what was now brunch, " would you like some pancakes?" She asked changing the subject. 

"You know dad has a mistress don't you?" I asked with anger and disappointment. 

She ignored me as she flipped the pancake.

"You know all these "meetings" aren't really meetings, don't you?" I continued.

" He doesn't know you know, does he?"

" And I bet you don't know that he has sex with her in YOUR bed."

She immediately spun around, " THAT'S ENOUGH ANNA," she said angrily as she slammed her fist on the counter top.

Angrily I turned on my heel and headed up to my room, running up the stairs my eyes were blinded with tears as I pushed open my door and laid across my bed as I hugged my pillow. 

Soon I fell asleep.

I woke up a couple hours later to the hot evening sun. I turned and check my phone for the time and notice it was about 4pm. The dance was about 3 hours away. I didn't feel like going but I had already promised Josh. I was nervous about going to the dance with Josh, Jacob and the others were right, he did have a bad reputation. 

I walked over to my closet and pulled out the dress that I had bought the day I shopped for the party dress. It was glittery and close fitting which showed off a figure that hardly anyone had seen. 

I first did my nails which I painted in a bright red nail polish I borrowed from my mom. Not accustomed to pampering myself I keep mistakenly getting it on my skin. Getting frustrated I let out an exasperated sigh. 

"Need some help?" I heard as attempted to wipe off the nail polish that had gone on my skin. I looked up and saw my mom standing in the doorway.

"Sure," I said as I made room on the bed for her to sit. She sat down and I placed my feet over hers as she rubbed off the badly done nail polish and applied it on perfectly. 

" You were never much of a girly-girl," she smiled, " I never had these type of moments with you."

I looked up and her and it was the first time in a long time I saw a real smile on her face, it wasn't a charming 'business smile' it was a genuine smile that reflected in her eyes.