Chapter Ten - "Do you have a point to prove?"

Anna POV

I walked down the school hallway as I approached Jacob's locker to get some things he needed to study until he got back to school.

I turned the lock to each number as I looked down at the text he had sent giving me the code.

"How's he doing?" I heard from beside me. I looked up and saw Becca.

"Why don't you come and see for yourself? He hasn't seen you in just over a month," I said defensively annoyed at her previous absences.

" I can't," she said as she hugged her books.

" And why not?" I responded.

" Because I have a reputation to uphold, I'm the hottest girl in school, you know how many people would kill to date me? I can't be seen with a loser in a wheelchair," she said stunning me.

I scoffed and just as I was about to respond Micah came up, grabbing her from behind. 

" Hey babe, ready to go?" He asked. She nodded turn on her heel as he escorted her away.

I sighed and grabbed Jacob's books and headed to my car.

When I got to Jacob's house he was in the gym, walking with the bars and doing his physical therapy. 

"Hey Anna," he smiled as he set himself back in his wheelchair. He had made so much progress during the pass few weeks it was amazing. 

He rolled over towards me as his physical therapist Mariah packed up her equipment. 

Jacob's mom walked in with some drinks and I leaned back on the bean bag chair. I looked up at her and noticed the bruise I had seen at the hospital was no longer there nor were their any new ones. I haven't even seen Jacob's dad in a while.

"What's up?" Jacob said as his mom left the room as if he read my thoughts.

"Um...nothing," I said not wanting to bring it up, I didn't want him to feel that I was in his business. 

" Well, something's on your mind so spill it," he said with a cheery smile.

" Well, when you were first admitted into the hospital I talked to your mom in the hallway and her makeup was running and she had bruises on her," I said quietly with concern in my voice.

A few moments of silence followed and Jacob looked down in his lap and he played with his fingers. 

"I'm sorry, I said anything forget it, it's not my business," I said wishing I hadn't said anything.

"It's okay," he said leaning towards me.

Jacob proceeded to tell me about everything that had happened with his family, his abusive father even what happened the night of the accident. Everyone thought he had the perfect life but hearing what really happened behind those closed gates made me speechless. I watched as Jacob struggled to tell me everything as a tear fell down his cheek. He was hurting and no one ever saw it, no one ever knew because he never let anyone so close in his life. 

He finished telling me about his family and then silence filled the room. He sighed deeply as if he was glad to get that off his chest. 

"So where's your dad now?" I asked reluctantly.

"Well...I'm not sure, mom said he went overseas for therapy but I'll have to see that to believe it," he replied.

"My family isn't a bed of roses either," I said as I looked distantly ahead.

"Can't be worst than mine," he said wiping his face with a towel he had across his lap.

I proceeded to tell him about how my parents always working and how my dad was cheating on my mom with a woman half his age and how I had actually caught them in the act.

"So why don't your mom move out?" Jacob asked, " she makes her own money unlike my mom."

"She claims that it could put their business in jeopardy and she doesn't want me to come from a broken home," I responded.

" Kinda makes sense," he said with a slight smile, " well atleast you'll be off to college soon so you won't have to worry."

I noticed his change in mood at the mention of college. I knew he thought he wouldn't be going after all this. For Jacob, basketball was everything.

" You could still go to college Jacob, your grades are pretty good," I assured him.

"Yeah, thanks to your help, but no college is gonna take me just like that, I have nothing to offer," he said losing hope.

After leaving Jacob's I went home. Sitting at my study table I proceeded in writing my letters to various colleges. After I finished sealing my letters I started thinking about Jacob and how he had given up hope of going to college. Before I knew it, I started writing applications on behalf of him. 

I walked down the pavement towards the big black mailbox which stood outside and placed the letters in it. Shortly after I watched the mailman take out the letters and carry them off with him. That was it. Only thing left to do was wait.

JACOB POV

After Anna had left I rolled in my room and laid on my bed. I had opened up to her more than I have for anybody else. 

The next day I would be going back to school, thanks to Anna though I have caught up with the work so I'll be graduating with everyone else.

After paying video games for awhile and a visit from August and Issa I went to get some rest.

The next morning I woke up excited and nervous. I would be going back to school today. I would have to deal with people's pity parties and seeing Becca prance around with Micah Sobers. Great. 

Anna came over in the morning and offered to drive me school, I assisted myself into the car and she put my chair in the back and soon we were off.   As I rolled myself down the hall with Tori, Megan and some guys from the team I watched as people stared and whispered. 

"I thought he was dead," I heard one comment.

I continued rolling as I got accustomed to the new wheelchair mom had bought which was easier to roll than the recycled hospital one. 

As I rolled towards my locker I saw Micah and Becca leaned up against her locker. 

"Oh boy," Issa commented.

"It's aiight," I smiled as I rolled up to my locker.

Becca saw me approaching and she looked shocked and uncomfortable.
Micah moved to let me into my locker and him and the snobs he spoke to expected me to react but I noticed something. I wasn't jealous or annoyed, I felt like I was over Becca.

August helped me grab my books for class and we rolled off to Chemistry. We had a class test. What a great way to start my first day back. 

After coming out the test I was feeling great I was actually able to answer the questions confidently. Thanks to Anna.

I thanked Anna for her help she was the first person that I opened up to and she didn't even judge me. 

For the next period, we had gym which we usually just use as basketball practice. Since it was still on my timetable I decided to tag along. 

I sat on the sidelines as I watched the guys from the team pass the ball around. Issa walked up to me," wanna play?" He asked.

"I can't ," I said unsure.

"Come on a lot of guys in wheelchairs play basketball," Kevin; a guy from the team said as he took a sip of water.

" Yeah, come on," another encouraged.

Before I knew it everyone was cheering me on as I rolled across the court. I rolled up to the line with the ball in my lap then I picked it up and prepared to hopefully make a shot.

I held the rubber ball in my hands it felt real I haven't held a ball in a while I missed this.

I arched my hand and leaned forward slightly as I prepared to shoot. 

I slowly released the rubber ball as I watched it soar through the air. It seemed like hours went by as I watched it roll around the rim and drop of the side and it bounced off court.

I groaned disappointedly. 

"Again, Latimore !" I heard coach shout from the sidelines. I hadn't even noticed he was there.

Kevin passed me the ball and once again I prepared to shoot it. Throwing it I watched as it easily went through the basket. 

"Yes !!" I shouted as I rolled around. I couldn't believe it. I could still play basketball even in a wheelchair. A little practice and maybe just maybe I could get that scholarship after all.