THIRTY ONE/THANK YOU

Start from the beginning

  Nico stood up again and started pacing back and forth, a look of something Will couldn't discern evident in his entire posture. Fear? Worry? Nervous joy?

  Will leaned back, his hands resting on the tracks as his eyes followed Nico back and forth. 

  "So," he started with a matter-of-fact tone, "lately, I've been thinking. It's kind of weird, you know? Weird that like, in all the thirteen years of my life I've never liked a girl, ever. You know?"

  Will smirked, "What, no one's good enough for you?"

  Nico stopped, one hand behind his back while the other pointed straight towards Will. "Shut up." He resumed his pacing, a red tint starting to bloom on the tips of his ears as he spoke, "I just, I've been wondering and you know what? I think I'm - no, I'm pretty damn sure that I'm gay." Nico faced Will and was surprised to see him smiling.

  "So?"

  "So, nothing." Nico sounded relieved and tried to play it off as being cool, "Just thought you'd like to know."

  Will laughed, extending his arms outward, "Come here." Nico snuggled into Will's lap eagerly, resting his head on Will's shoulder as his legs hung over his lap. "I'll love you no matter what, idiot. I don't really care that you're gay, it changes nothing." Will kissed Nico on his forehead and shook him off, getting up with a smile on his face, "Let's go home."

  And in those few nerve-wracking moments Nico had began to wonder once again if he was in love, and this time he knew the answer.

  Definitely. He was hopelessly, desperately in love.

  Will was seventeen years old when he'd had a similar epiphany. He'd been sitting beside Nico, who was buried deep in his homework, lazily strewn the wrong way across the chair. Will had simply rested his hands on the back of the chair, his chin coming down to touch his forearms as he said, "I'm gay."

  Nico had sat upright and screamed the loudest 'what' he'd ever heard someone utter. Will had fallen off his chair in surprise and had looked less than amused as he sat back down in his chair once again after recovering, his legs spread wide. "What. The. Hell."

  Nico had managed a sheepish grin with a quick 'sorry' thrown out. They'd decided to discuss it and after 2 hours of talking, play fighting and laughing, Nico couldn't have been happier.

  His best friend was gay, and maybe, just maybe ...

   he liked Nico back.

  Will was 21 when he first asked Nico out on a date.

  It was simple, really. They had woken up in their small apartment off campus and Will had wrapped Nico up in a back hug as he was brushing his teeth in the bathroom. Nico paused to spit and give Will a warm smile before continuing to brush his teeth. Will had to stop himself from going too far as he rubbed his hands up and down Nico's bare arms sleepily. He started to play with the hem of Nico's sleeveless tee.

  He'd been having these intense feelings for the boy lately that he just couldn't explain and now that he knew (kind of) what he wanted, he'd decided to make the first move. They were already living together, and they hadn't grown apart in the years that they had known each other, if anything, it had made them closer than before. Kissing each other on the cheek, temple, forehead (and recently, neck) hadn't ever been an issue for them. So when Will woke up that morning, he had a clear intent in his mind.

  Will lazily left a kiss on Nico's neck and suppressed a smile at the small shiver he felt under his lips. He hesitated for a second before placing his hands on Nico's hips, he looked at Nico in the mirror and smiled as he caught the boy staring at his lips. Nico fumbled with the toothbrush and went red in the face, he'd finished up brushing his teeth and laughed lightly when he tried to detach himself from Will.