SEVENTEEN

Will closed the door to the apartment as he cautiously snuck around to his room, hoping nothing gooey would fall on him or that he wouldn't run over some trip wire on the way.

  You see, he and Nico had been having this epic prank war which had been initiated by (of course) Will. It started with the classic plastic wrap in the doorway, Will had been there all along, taping Nico as he walked into his room only to get his face smushed by the wrap. After laughing for a minute at Nico he'd said, "Got you!"

  Will had slept on the couch that night.

  The blond carefully opened his door, ducking instinctively as he entered only to find no pranks awaiting him. He started to undress, pulling on some more comfortable clothes.

  Nico had retaliated Will's prank the next day, he'd replaced Will's shampoo with black dye, knowing that he never opened his eyes when he shampooed. Will had only noticed once he finished washing his hair and he noticed that someone had written, "Got You!" in black marker on the bottle. It ended disastrously, with Will looking like a raven for the following week in which their war continued.

  Will ran a hand through his hair (which was still a bit dark in some areas) as he walked over to the kitchen.

  "AHH-" Will stopped mid-scream. Nico was lying on the floor with a knife stuck right in his chest, fake blood pooling around him. Will wasn't going to give that idiot the satisfaction of letting him think he had been scared.

  "Ha ha Nico, very funny. Now get up I'm tired and I want to go out for dinner tonight." Will looked through to cabinets, hoping the food fairy had come.

  She hadn't.

  Nico didn't say anything. Will stopped, turning around to crouch by Nico, "Give it up-"

  Will stopped. His heart suddenly started racing. The knife was glinting, plastic knives don't glint. "No," Will breathed out. It was a real knife.

  "No no no," Will shook his head frantically as he searched for a pulse, desperate. It had been to long, no. He and Nico had left Camp Half-Blood years ago, they'd given up all of their electronics, been the safest they could've been. How did someone find them? How did something find them?

  Will had started a new life with Nico, a safe, normal, life.

No pulse. Nothing. Not even a small flutter of a heartbeat.

  "Nico?" Will murmured, tears were falling from his eyes as he stroked the other boy's cheek. Nico didn't say anything, how could he? Will finally broke, he screamed and screamed until his throat was raw, he held Nico up to his body and cradled him to feel his slowly fading warmth.

  Suddenly, Will noticed something he hadn't seen. On the floor beside Nico was something written in blood. Will pictured Nico struggling to breath, his fingers moving slowly across the floor in a last attempt to reassure Will.

  In scrawled letters next to the place the love of his life had taken his last breath was a message, it read : Got you.

  Will smiled sadly, hugging Nico once again, never wanting to let go.