TWENTY SIX

THURSDAY

   Thursday, they shared their first kiss. I remember the sparks flying in the air and the warmth rushing into the atmosphere at contact, I remember because it was me who caused it all.

   Nico's morning was rushed like usual, most of his time taken up by applying concealer onto bruises and marks that would make others take notice of him. By the time he made it into work, he had already lost a good 30 minutes off his shift.

  Despite the initial disappointment, Nico's morning was instantly turned around when he saw Will walk into the room with a smile on his face. I was a sucker for resting-happy-faces but it took more than that to get to Nico. Nico's eyes slowly dimmed and he told someone else to take over cashier for a second as Will approached the line. I followed the boy into the restroom to see what was going on, leaving behind a confused Will.

  Nico was desperately looking through the bag he had grabbed on his way here, muttering curses under his breath when he couldn't find what he was searching for. He looked at himself in the mirror, placing the bag gently on the floor. Nico's long fingers tenderly grazed his neck and I saw what had gotten him so worried, some of his bruises were showing. Just faintly, but enough that if anyone looked too closely, they would notice.

  Nico cursed once again, popping his collars up and then putting them back down again after deciding that would just draw more unnecessary attention to him. He exited the bathroom with thoughts of how he would explain them to Will, who was sure to notice at some point.

  Will patiently waited at one of the tables, only to spot a distraught Nico walking out of the employees bathroom, scanning the line for someone. The corners of Nico's mouth slowly tilted up as he saw Will, walking over to him.

  There was something about the way they looked at each other, I sensed it even before I had decided to permanently latch onto them. Their eyes lit up at the sight of one another and their gestures of nervousness began to show without the other knowing. Will would start playing with his watch strap as soon as he laid eyes on the boy, not even aware that he was doing so. Nico would start to clench and unclench his fists if he was too close to the boy. And yet, their eyes still held this passion for one another that I had yet to see in two people so young, not anymore.

  Will's tousled hair blew around as a customer came in through the door and Nico wondered what it would be like to touch it, just for a moment. He refrained from being a creep (his thoughts, not mine. I thought it would've been adorable) and made small talk with Will until he finally came to the point and told him, "I think I'll be off around 5?" Will gave him a small nod, eyes straying to Nico's neck just once.

  Nico could tell he'd noticed and immediately tensed up when he saw how Will's forehead crinkled slightly. I waited in anticipation.

  As quick as it had come, the moment passed and Will returned to his normal state, a small smile appearing on his face. "I'll see you then, Nico." 

  An unspoken thank you was conveyed through Nico's eyes and Will gave him a small nod, a dorky salute followed right before he finally left. I let out a breath I hadn't known I was holding and patted Nico on the back, only to find that my hand went right through him and I wondered how on earth these two kids had made so much progress in just 3 and a half days.

  Time passed slowly, as always, and the moment finally arrived when Will came to pick Nico up from work. The pair drove back to Will's place in a comfortable silence, something hard to achieve with someone you'd only known for half a week. 

  Will had set up his small dining area beautifully, there was a candle placed in the center of the table and a single rose was placed in a glass vase beside the cylinder of wax. Nico's cheeks turned a pretty shade of pink as he thought about how much work Will had probably put into setting everything up and cooking the food that was placed on the table as well. Faint embarrassment ran through him as he realized he was still in his clothes from work.

  "You could've let me go home to change," Nico started as Will pulled out a chair for him, "At least then I would've looked presentable."

  Will grinned as he sat down in front of Nico, resting his chin in the palm of one hand, "I think it's about time you realized that you always look presentable."

  Nico rolled his eyes at the cheesiness and tried to pretend his cheeks didn't feel hot right in that moment. "So, what did you make?"

  Will grinned like an overeager puppy, "You're going to love it, it's homemade spaghetti!"

  "Again?" 

  Will pouted, "You say that like it's a bad thing."

  Nico couldn't help but laugh and I inched closer to the two as I saw Will gazing at him fondly. "Of course it's not, it's just that the last time we had spaghetti it was kind of a disaster."

  "Well this won't be, plus," Will added with a devilish smirk, "We never got to perfect our scene from Lady and the Tramp."

  Nico got up at the mention of the movie and tried calming his nerves, "I'll be back, I just need to wash my hands." 

  I watched as Will nodded once and then realized his mistake as he saw Nico heading towards the kitchen. He jumped up in panic, "WAIT!" Will ran after Nico and stopped in the kitchen when he saw Nico staring at the takeout containers resting on the stove.

  "Homemade, huh?" Nico smirked as he calmly washed his hands at the sink.

  Will sputtered out a weak apology and followed Nico back to the table with his head hung in mock shame. The rest of the evening played out similarly, with the pair joking about nonsensical things and finding out things about the other that they didn't know. As the night came to an end, Nico insisted he had to go home to a more than sulky Will to which he agreed after some prodding but only if Nico let Will drop him off.

  Surprisingly, Nico's house was a fair walking distance away from Will's place and so they found themselves walking along in the cool summer night. They stopped in front of Nico's house, both too nervous to actually say anything. Nico fumbled with his keys for a minute before finally looking up only to met with a pair of lips touching his own. His "I had fun tonight" dying in the back of his throat as he felt Will's lips moving against his own, soft and sweet. Will's hand stroked Nico's cheek gently and when they finally pulled away, they were both smiling.

  Will winked at Nico and threw out a quick "see you later" to the boy as he started to walk back home. Will's grin never fading once all the way, not even when he wiped away the bit of concealer he'd found on his thumb.

  Nico had watched Will until he was no longer visible from his point of view, he licked his lips once, then twice. Just to reassure himself that the kiss had actually happened and it wasn't all a dream. 

 Both of them had fallen asleep that night with me curled up very tightly next to them, inching closer and closer to their pounding hearts.