Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

TAYLORS POV

"Where do you think you're going?" My fathers words slurred out from his chest as he leaned on the doorframe of the kitchen.

"I'm going to get some new strings for my guitar, they broke." I turned away from him and began to walk out of the front door. "If you don't make it back before twelve Taylor.." he said seriously.

"I know dad. I'll be home soon okay?" I grabbed my wallet from the coffee table and placed it into my pocket before walking out of the house and shutting the door behind me.

I hated lying to my dad but if I want to go anywhere that doesn't involve church, homework or guitar I have to lie. I'm really going to this party that I was invited to. Highschool parties aren't really my favourite thing to go to, but it beats staying at home with my drunken father.

I can be afraid of him sometimes, which is expected when he becomes the monster that he can sometimes be. I've been physically beaten by him multiple times before, and he's called me any insulting name that you could think that a father would call his son. Not that usually fathers are supposed to be rude and awful towards their kids, but mine surely did not care. My brother Justin was lucky enough to get to stay with our Uncle in Europe for this year, which meant he wasn't around to witness any of this.

The place was actually bigger than I expected being three storeys tall, whoevers house this is their family must have a lot of money. I walked up the stairs to the house and in through the front door. People were speaking loudly over the music and some drinking. Faces turned to me when I entered but eventually went back to their conversations. I took a cigarette out of my pocket and held it in between my fingertips, lighting it.

"Taylor York?!"

HAYLEYS POV

I watched two guys head over towards Taylor as one of them held his hand out for Taylor to shake. "It's good to see you man!" Taylor said excitedly. I managed to just catch their names through the muffled sounds of music and talking. Will and Chad. Chads eyes stayed on me though as Taylor and Will zoned back into a conversation he flashed a brief smile at me, I felt my cheeks heat up, they've probably gone a bright red.

Chad began to walk over towards me after a couple minutes of just standing there silently while Taylor and Will were chatting. "So as cheesy as this is gonna sound, I can't keep my eyes off of you." He said with a smile across his face. Chad and Will look older than most of the kids here, we're all juniors in highschool but they look like they've already finished school. Sure enough my questions were answered.

"I miss house parties. Once you get into your first year of college it all turns into going out to bars or clubs mostly, apart from the occasional dorm ones." Chad offered me a beer from the cooler that was in here.

"Oh no thanks I don't drink."

"Straight edge like me hey?" He asked and handed me a root beer, which I happily took from him. Straight edge has always been a commitment that I have respected, I've tried a few times to get into it, but I feel I can control my drinking. I only drink when I feel like it's a really special occasion or a time that I just want to drink, not when I'm pressured into it or to seem cool to other people, because that's all bullshit to me.

"Nah I wouldn't say that, I just drink when there's something really worth celebrating for." I bumped his shoulder lightly with mine and he chuckled along with me. The next couple of hours consisted of Chad and I walking around the party and hanging out. He's a nice guy and he's pretty funny too.

TAYLORS POV

"So seeing as your friend has taken off, how about we take some shots to loosen you up?" This girl was the one who threw this party, her name's Emma. She was hanging aroung with me and Will for a while, and ever since he left she's been flirting with me. It's kinda been awkward.