Part 33

Once everything was cleaned, put away and unpacked, Liam pulled Eva into the master bedroom. "Are you okay?" he asked.

Eva nodded. "Yes, sorry. I'm just so used to trying to stop a fight. I just assume..."

"Hey. Stop." Liam said, leaning in for a kiss. "You know what they say about assuming, right? It makes an ASS out of U and ME. Get it? Spelling humor?"

Eva grinned. "That's terrible." She put her arms around her neck, kissing him lightly.

"I'm funny." Liam said, kissing her back.

"Sure." She kissed him harder.

They stood there, kissing and mumbling to each other, enjoying a stolen moment, when Ava opened the door. "Daddy?" she said. Liam stepped back, wiped his lips and looked down at his daughter. "I'm hungry and I have to go potty."

He nodded, looked back at Eva and mouthed "Sorry." Turning back to Ava, he walked her down the hall and showed her the bathroom. Then he turned to the fridge. "What did we plan for tonight, Evie?" he called. "Hot dogs? Over the fire? It's late and we didn't buy any wood. Oops. Okay, everyone shoes! We are going out to dinner."

This wasn't the first time they'd all gone out to eat together, but it was the first time Eva didn't feel worried that someone would see her. She could sit by Liam and touch his hand or leg. She could help Jamie or Ava and not feel uncomfortable. Liam seemed to feel the same way, pulling her into the booth next to him, holding her hand while she looked over the menu. "This is nice." he said, turning and whispering in her ear. She turned her head, touching her lips to his.

"Momma!" Arden cried out.

Her head snapped back to her son, looking at the confusion on his face. "I'm sorry, Arden. I just bumped him. It won't happen again."

Arden laughed. "I've seen you kiss Liam before. But Daddy says kissing is for private, remember?" Eva sighed and sat back. Yes, Harry never kissed her in public. He even made a big deal about her kissing Arden in public. He was just a little boy but Harry thought hugging and kissing were not things people did where others could see. Eva had never seen him hug or kiss his own mother. He didn't hug his sister. Just wasn't done. The only time he'd kissed in her public was on their wedding day. She was still going to have to talk to Arden, explain that he couldn't tell Daddy. Why did this seem like a good idea?

"It's okay, Evie. He's right." Liam patted her leg under the table.

When they returned home, Liam took his kids into the cabin and got them ready for bed. Eva took Arden to sit by the river, wanting to talk to him. "So, baby." Eva started. "You know that you can't tell Daddy about me kissing Liam, right?" He nodded. "Do you know why?"

"Ava said you are going to marry Liam and have a wedding, like in the mermaid story. What happens to Daddy? And me? Are you getting a new family because Daddy is mean?"

Eva nearly started to cry. "No! No, I am not going to marry Liam. I am not going to get a new family. You are my family. You. I would never leave you, ever."

"Promise?"

Eva grabbed Arden, holding him tight. "I promise. You are the most important thing in the world to me."

"What about Daddy?"

Eva sighed. "Oh, honey, do you want me to stay living with Daddy? What if you and I got a new house? By grandma? You'd be able to walk over and see the cat whenever you wanted."

"Would I still get to see Daddy?"

"Whenever you want. You just have to ask." she said.

"No more yelling? No fighting?" He looked hopeful.