Part 10

Eva let Liam stay, watching movies and talking. They decided to watch whatever came on Starz, no matter what. They started with Star Wars, the latest one, discussing when and where they had first seen the original movies. It turned out that they both had father's who were fans and impressed their love on their children. She had passed that love to Arden and Liam to Jamie. Both boys were huge fans of the series. They discussed they favorite of the movies, favorite lines from the movies, favorite characters. They talked easily, never awkward pauses or uncomfortable silences.

The next movie was a comedy, ridiculous situation after ridiculous situation, annoying Eva and making Liam laugh. "I don't understand why men like these movies. It's impossible. Things like this don't happen!" Eva complained.

"Oh, yes, and Cinderella is SO realistic." Liam said, rolling his eyes. "I need popcorn. Do you have popcorn? Get out bed. I'm hungry." Liam grabbed her hand and dragged her downstairs. He dug through her cupboards, finding popcorn and other snacks, setting up a buffet of food on her coffee table. "I see you have set up your nest here, too." Liam laughed, pointing to her pile of blankets.

She just laughed. "Come join me. It's comfortable." She slide over, making room for Liam on the lounger part of the upstairs sofa. It wasn't really big enough for two people, but she managed to make enough room for him to put his feet up next to hers. She loved this sofa, buying especially because of the lounger. Her feet could be up, but the back didn't recline. It looked like a normal sofa, except for the long part at the end. She and Harry had argued, him wanting a normal recliner. She thought they looked tacky. He could have one in his man cave, and he did, but she wanted clean lines in her living space. This was where she spent her time.

"How many couches do you own?" Liam said, laughing. "You've got a livingroom downstairs, one here and then the front room, by the main door."

"Well, Harry needs his space, I need mine and the front room is for company only. Nobody ever sits there except on Christmas and Easter."

Liam sighed. "Do you ever spend time with Harry?" Eva shook her head. "Ya." Liam said. "I get it. I don't see much of Sophia. We don't have separate rooms like this, but she's never home. She prefers to sleep at the hospital if she's off for less than eight hours on the weekends. On weekdays, I leave before she's up and she doesn't come home until I'm in bed already."

"I'm sorry." Eva said.

Liam shrugged. "Anyhow, back to this movie you hate. You are missing out. Pay attention and turn off your brain. You will enjoy it, Evie. I swear."

"You called me Evie, again." she said, smiling.

"I know." Liam said, smiling back.

*************************************

"I want to name the baby after my grandfather, Harry. I want to call him Arden. Arden Charles."

Harry shook his head. "Your Grandfather's name is Charles Varden. What are you talking about? Arden isn't even a name. Let's just name him Charles."

"I just took of the V. Arden, Varden. Get it?"

Harry sighed. "Arden isn't a name. How is he going to get a job when he gets older if he has such a dumb name?"

Eva sighed. "It's not dumb. It's a boy. He was conceived DAYS after my grandfather died. It feels right to me. Arden Charles Styles. I just know it's right. Please, understand."

Harry rolled his eyes. "We can still talk about it. We have three months. Now, lay down. I'm going to read to the baby again. I want him to know my voice."

Eva laughed. "Okay, Okay. Then will you help me get settled? Put that pillow behind my back?"

Harry looked up at her, smiling. "Of course. Now, Shhh. I'm going to read."

Eva smiled, resting a hand on her belly, feeling happy and content. Harry was excited about the baby. Harry couldn't wait for the baby to be born. Their tiny house had two bedrooms and Harry spent two weekends painting one of them blue with white fluffy clouds. It looked exactly how she wanted it to look. White crib, white dresser and changing table. Light blue curtains fluttered in the summer breeze. Soft toys and books were in baskets, ready for the baby to play with and love. She even had a rocker, white with light blue cushions, ready for her to rock the baby to sleep. She'd taken a leave from work, planning on staying home for two years, to raise her baby. She wanted to do go to mommy and me swim class. She wanted to make homemade babyfood. She was going to be the perfect mother and she couldn't wait.

*************************************

The next morning, Eva decided to go the grocery store. It would be an easier trip without Arden begging for things and complaining about how long she was taking to pick out food. She pulled up, parked and headed in. As she picked out a cart, someone walked up behind her. "Hey, stranger." he said.

Startled, she turned about, hand on her throat. "Liam! You scared me!" she said, laughing.

He laughed, too. "Sorry. I just thought I'd do some shopping before I get my kids. Easier, you know?" he said.

Eva nodded. "Yep. I know." They fell into easy step together, wandering around the store and putting things into their carts. "Do you always do the shopping?" she asked.

Liam nodded. "Soph is too busy now. She used to or we'd go together. She's just....busy." Liam sighed and put some cereal into his cart. "You?"

"Well, I'm the wife, right?" she said.

Liam shook his head. "That is such an old fashion idea. Surely you don't believe that?"

Eva shrugged. "Harry doesn't help much with house stuff."

Liam just nodded. "I noticed. Sophia and I used to split everything equally. Just...well..not anymore."

"How long have you been together?"

"I've had a crush on her since high school? I asked her out dozen's of times, but she didn't say yes until we went on a tour of the university together? I was going to be a doctor, too. She stayed with it. I changed my mind after my first year. I love science, but not medicine. And I didn't want to be in school that long. I wanted to live my life. Teaching seemed perfect. I could pass on my love of science and spend my summers exploring the world, right? Sophia was disappointed, we even broke up for a while. Once we got back together, I think she saw the good in my choice. She could have a family, have me take care of it and still be successful." Liam looked away after saying all of this.

"Liam?" she asked. "Are you okay?"

He nodded, shook his head and pushed his cart forward.

Later that night, Eva was sitting on the deck, enjoying the quiet. Arden was staying one more night with her parents and Harry was playing video games. She sipped a glass of wine, just watching the river roll by. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a light go on next door. It was the master bedroom. When Dawn and Justin had lived next door, she had told Dawn that she needed to make sure the windows were closed before they engaged in sexual encounters. They had a good laugh over it at the time. Now, she was sure she could hear Liam saying "Stop." She listened closely, curiosity getting the best of her.

"Oh, Liam. Come on." Sophia answered. Eva looked up. The curtains were open. She saw Sophia move close to Liam and wrap her arms around his neck. "Let's not fight."

"Let's fight. You were late for dinner. You missed bath and story time. Ava really wanted to see you. You promised. And you broke that promise again. You promised me you'd try. But here you are, smelling like someone else's cologne. Again. Are you cheating on me again?"

Eva's breath caught in her throat. Sophia had cheated on Liam?

"No!" Sophia answered. "I swear. I'm not. I just got busy. Lost track of time. Come on. I want you."

Eva let her eyes wander up back to the window. Liam was kissing Sophia. She watched as he pushed her back, away from the window. She looked away, quickly, hearing Sophia moan. Eva went inside, not wanting to listen to anymore.