Eustace the Dragon and Elizabeth's Fear Soothed

Author's POV
Caspian, Edmund and their sisters, along with Mr. Rhince and Gael, Drinian, Tavros and Reepicheep gather around Eustace in his new, dragon form.

He bites at a gold cuff around his leg and scrapes it against the ground.

"He must've been tempted from the treasure." Edmund says.

"Anyone knows a dragon's treasure is enchanted. Well, anyone from here." Caspian adds quickly after getting a growl from Eustace.

Lucy walks to Eustace, gesturing for him to give her his paw. She quickly pulls it off, and Eustace roars.

"Is there any way to change him back?" Ed asks.

"Not that I know of." Caspian sighs.

"Aunt Alberta will not be pleased." Edmund says firmly to Eustace as he looks down, ashamed.

"Sorry about the hand old boy. I can be a little overzealous at times." Reepicheep apologizes.

"You can say that again." Rosie agrees with a light chuckle.

"The boats are ready sire!" Tavros yells.

"We can't leave him." Elizabeth states.

"Well we can't bring him on board, Your Majesty." Drinian replies.

"Drinian, you and the others take one boat back. The rest of us will stay here till morning and...work out what to do." Caspian decides.

"But you've no provisions, and no means of staying warm, Your Majesty." Mr. Rhince points out, concerned.

With a roar, Eustace breathes fire on a stick, sending it into flames.

"You were saying?" Reep smirks as everyone laughs.

Everyone gathered more sticks and logs, and made camp as comfortably as they could around the fire.

Ellie curled into a fetal position, her head on Caspian's lap. Rosie snuggled into the warmth of her owner's body.

On Caspian's other side was Edmund.

"I've never seen these constellations before." Edmund comments.

"Me neither. We're a long way from home. When Ellie and I were kids, we used to imagine sailing to the end of the world, finding our parents there." Caspian says.

"Maybe you will." Edmund replies.

"Hey, how was Ellie in your world?"

"She was horribly homesick for the longest time. We had no idea, she never told us."

"Really? Ellie kept her pain to herself?"

"I know, I was surprised too. But she finally did tell us, then she was noticeably happier."

Roughly thirty minutes later, Edmund had fallen asleep, but Caspian was still awake, and Elizabeth had woken back up.

"So, you still never told me why you always say it's ok when I hurt you." Caspian whispers.

"I'm getting out of it, am I?" Elizabeth sighs.

"Nope." He chuckles.

"Ok, I just...I want to be absolutely sure that I'm a good sister, because you deserve one." She confesses.

"Wait, you think you're not!?" Hey questions, shocked.

"I know I was. When Aslan said Peter and Susan, the girl you loved, can never come back, shouldn't have left you too. That was wrong. You've been so loving and protective of me since I was a baby, practically raised me since I was seven. I just want to be perfect sister for you."

"Elizabeth Jewel, do you know how much stupid stuff you convinced me not to do? Or how many times you were there when I needed someone, or made sure I was happy in general? You're an amazing sister, Ellie!"

"Really?"

"Yes, and it you ever doubt that again, come to me and I will give you a thousand reasons proving how great of a sister and friend you are to me."

"I love you." Elizabeth grins, calling back asleep.

"I love you too, amazing little sister." Caspian smiles, softly kissing her hair, lies back down, and falls asleep himself.