Chapter 29: Court

Maya's POV:
      Today's the day. I'm going to court to be adopted. We have Topanga on our side, so I know we will win. Shawn and I get in his car. He starts driving. While he is driving, we were singing to the songs on the radio. It's actually a lot of fun.
We walk into the courtroom. I see a face that fills me with hatred. "Why is he here?" I ask Topanga. "He's your father, so he has to be here. Anyways, he wants to take custody of you." Topanga tells me. I just stand there in shock. Kermit wants to take custody of me? This can't be happening.
Soon enough, we start. I sit in between Topanga and Shawn. Riley, Matthews, Lucas, Farkle, Zay, and Smackle are not allowed to sit with us. I wish Lucas could sit next to me. Lucas is sitting right behind me and we are holding hands. The judge comes in and takes his seat. "Hello everyone. I hope you are all having a good day. Now I would like Maya Hart to the stand." he says.
I get up and sit in the seat I'm suppose to be in. Lucas shoots me a reassuring look. I smile. "Now, Ms.Hart, do you know why you are here?" the judge asks me. "Yes, I am here because Shawn Hunter wants to adopt me, but Kermit wants to take custody of me." I reply. "Why do you call him, Kermit?" the judge asks. "Because I would never call him dad." I answer.
"And why is that, Ms.Hart?" the judge asks me. "He left when I was little. Then, a few years ago, I wrote a letter to him, asking why he left. After we talked, he went back to his other family." I answer. I hear some people gasp. "Someone from the opposite side may ask her questions." the judge says. A tall man with dark hair and a nice suit gets up. I'm guessing he is Kermit's attorney.
"I heard you went missing for four years. Is that correct?" the tall man asks me. I nod my head yes. "Why did you leave?" he asks. "It's a long story and there are many different reasons." I reply. "I believe we have a while." the man says. "The reasons are private." I answer hoping he will give up. "Is that so?" he asks rudely. I quickly nod my head yes.
      "Your time is up. Ms.Hart you may ask someone on the opposite side questions if you would like." the judge tells us. I get out of my seat. "I would like to question, Kermit." I tell the judge. Kermit comes and sits in the seat I was sitting in a few moments before. "Why do you want to adopt me?" I ask him. He smiles. "I want you to be part of my life." Kermit answers.
       "But, why now?" I ask. "When your mother and I had you, I wasn't ready. Now, I'm ready. I want you to live with me, Maya. You should meet the rest of your family. They're all here." Kermit says. I look at the crowd on his side. I see people waving and smiling. I don't want them in my family. I like my family just the way it is. "Ms.Hart, your time is up. Mr.Hart you may ask someone on the opposite side questions." the judge cuts in.
      "Maya." he answers quickly. It's always me! I take my seat. "Why do you self harm?" he asks. I just stare at him. I finally ask, "Can you repeat that?" "I asked, why do you self harm?" Kermit says again. "For reasons." I say blankly. "Which are?" he asks. Ugh. Why can't they just leave me alone?! "I believe that is a very private question." Topanga says while standing up. I need to thank her later.
        "Your time is up." I hear the judge say. It pretty much is boring for the rest of the time. I kept dozing off. The judge finally says, "You will get the results later. Dismissed!" "I thought we were getting the results today." I question. "No, you will get them soon." the judge says. We all leave. When we get out, I hug Topanga and say, "Thank you!" "Anytime." she replies. I smile.
      Kermit comes over to me. Everyone gives us our privacy. "Who are you staying with?" Kermit asks. "I stay with Shawn." I answer. I see Kermit's face get mad and he storms off. We all say our goodbyes. I leave with Shawn. On the way back, we don't sing. We sit there in silence. We get back to his house. I hope we win. Who am I kidding? Hope is for suckers.

(A/N) Who do you want to win? I think I know who is going to win, but I'm not sure. Comment your answer!