Chapter 28: Pity

Maya's POV:
I look back to see what I'm leaving. I see Matthews, Riley, Farkle, Zay, Smackle, and Lucas running. I turn back to the front. I'm about to lean when two arms grab me. "Stop!" I scream. The two arms belong to Matthews. Lucas is holding my stuff. Farkle looks tired. Riley, Zay, and Smackle look concerned.
"Maya, please don't do this. We need you." Matthews says calmly. "I don't want your pity! I know none of you actually care about me. You're all just doing it out of pity!" I scream. "We don't do this out of pity. We love you." Lucas says. A tear slips out. "Stop pitting me! I don't want your pity." I spit at them.
"We don't do this out of pity. Stop listening to the notes." Riley told me. They know. "What notes?" I ask even though I already know the answer. "We know you have been getting notes." Farkle tells. Ugh. Why do they have to know everything? I yawn. It's getting late. "I'm tired." I say. Matthews nods and leads us to his car.
      He drops us all off at our houses. I'm at Shawn's house. Hopefully, he doesn't know. I let myself in and see a very worried Shawn. He's pacing around the room. When he sees me he hugs me. "Are you ok?" he asks when we let go. I nod my head yes. "Please don't die. I love you and you're all I have left." Shawn whispers. I smile.
     I head to my room and get ready for bed. When I lay my head on my pillow, sleep overtakes me immediately. During the night, I hear my door open. Shawn keeps checking on me. I can't wait to be adopted. Maybe, they aren't caring for me out of pity, but out of love.