Chapter Twenty-Six

"No!"

As if on cue, the entire woods screamed it.

The council members all raised their hands in protest.

Stephen reached for me.

Christian stepped closer.

Dean lurched forward, throwing a couple guards off him.

I raised my other hand out to stop them. "Let Dean go, or I'll kill myself." My voice had taken on an eerie calmness that startled me, especially considering I held a gun to my own head. Would I really kill myself? I didn't know, but I wasn't staying here with Stephen and neither was Dean. I knew that much.

"Ok," Stephen nodded, slowly stepping toward me. "Don't. He can go." Without taking his eyes off me, Stephen motioned to his guards, who released Dean. He fell to the ground, his eyes pleading with me not to do this.

"Go, Dean," I ordered.

He stood, shaking his head. "Not without you."

"Dean, this is not up for discussion. Go. Now."

"No," he said again, before turning to the council members, who stood watching me with resigned fear. "She's been marked. It's on her neck."

The council's eyes all shot to my throat. I wasn't sure where Dean was going with this, but the council now seemed more distracted by my neck then the gun at my head.

"So," Francis stated. "He's king. He can have whoever he wants as a mate. Marked or not."

"It's not that she has a mark, it's who marked her."

"Who marked you?" Dorian asked, his eyes widening in anticipation.

Flipping my braid over my shoulder, I exposed Logan's mark to them. I wasn't sure whether I should out Logan or not. Would he get in trouble? Did Dean know something about this mark I didn't? Power flared out of Dorian as he attempted to use his werewolf influence on me.

"Logan," I mumbled.

Dorian grinned, showing me his perfect white teeth, before turning to the other council members. "Francis, Jesus. I believe it is in the best interest of everyone if we return Avery to the werewolf Logan Kain."

"No way in hell!" Stephen yelled, but besides a sideways glance in his direction, the council ignored him.

"But Stephen is king. This may cause insubordination among the packs. His leadership may be questioned if he backs down from taking Avery because she belongs to another," Jesus said.

"Logan will go to war over her," Dean interrupted. All eyes shot to him.

Dorian appraised him slowly, before turning back to the other council members. "Aside from Stephen's, Logan has the largest pack in North America. And many allies."

"No," Stephen growled, stepping forward and grabbing my outstretched arm. I trained my gun on him, but he didn't seem to notice the steel pointed at his head. "She belongs to me now. I'm not afraid of Logan. He's an arrogant, blood thirsty, thief. Avery is mine."

Dorian shook his head. "Brother, Logan is none of those things. But he is dangerous. For the safety of your subjects, you don't want to get on his bad side."

"He should be afraid of my bad side!" Stephen roared.

"He'll come for her," Dorian shot a quick glance toward me. "Why wouldn't he?"

"Because he is banned from my territory. He will be shot on sight. That's probably why he sent this mutt." Stephen tossed a finger in Dean's general direction.

"She is not worth a war. She is not worth making our kind choose."

"That is for me to decide, brother."

"No. That is for the council to decide. We must consider what is best for our species." Dorian turned away from Stephen and spoke in hushed tones to Jesus and Francis. He did most of the talking I noticed, while the others nodded in agreement.

After a few tense minutes they turned back to us. "The council has decided that Avery is a special condition. She is not like any other human female. Her situation needs to be handled with care. Therefore, we have decided she is not yours to take."

"Dorian," Stephen growled.

"No, brother. When word spreads of Avery's existence alpha's will come from all over the world to seek her out. You are king, your responsibility lies with keeping North America safe. You can't be distracted by constant challenges for her. If Logan wants that burden, so be it. He can have her." He turned to me. "Because that will be his life, you know. One constant fight after another. Over you."

It felt like he'd slapped me. Why had I never thought about it like that? I knew being with my human family was dangerous, but being with my pack was too. And Logan. What had he done by marking me? For as long as this mark was on my throat, he'd fight to protect me. Until he couldn't. Holy crap. I was a death sentence.

Dorian extended his hand. "Avery, please give me that filthy weapon. You will stay in my custody until we can get you back to Colorado where you belong."

"Dean?" I asked.

Dorian turned to Stephen. "Logan respected your banishment and the terms you set forth by sending a messenger in his place and not coming here himself. To honor that act of good faith, we will return her pack mate."

Stephen bristled. Obviously not liking someone else in control and making offers. "Because you're afraid of Logan and think this bitch is too much of a burden, I can't have what I want? What I'm entitled to."

"This is what's best for your subjects. For your throne."

"Surely you know this isn't over, brother. I refuse to just let her go."

"I figured." Dorian released a long sigh. "But anything you do now is against the council's wishes and you won't have our backing. We must consider all werewolves, not just you."

The two brothers stared at each other, until Stephen gave a curt nod. His werewolves stepped away from Dean, who cautiously stalked over to me.

Grabbing the gun, Dean ripped it from my hand, throwing it to the ground. He scooped me up in his bloody arms and carried me away from the other werewolves and back down the gravel path.

Wrapping my arms around him, I tucked my head into the crook of his neck, and inhaled his familiar scent. His body trembled as he tightened his hold on me until I could barely breathe. I wasn't sure if he was scared, angry, or cold, but I let him squeeze me against him. It felt like the least I could do. He'd risked his life for me when no one else had. His lips grazed my temple where the barrel of the gun had been only a few minutes ago. His warm breath tickled my skin as he inhaled.

Over Dean's shoulder, I watched as Dorian walked silently behind us back down the groomed path. I wondered why he'd stood up to his brother for me. I wanted to believe he had honorable intentions, but werewolves had crossed me too many times for me to take their actions at face value. He had something to gain from this. I just couldn't figure out what.

"Avery," Stephen snarled.

I lifted my eyes to his. He still stood in front of the other council members. His eyes burned as he watched us retreat. Hot rage simmered just below the surface causing his eyes to spit blue flames at me.

"You will be mine. I promise you that."