Chapter Twenty-Four

I opened my eyes and immediately regretted it. A migraine seemed like child's play compared to the throbbing in my head. I squeezed my eyes shut and pulled the covers up, hiding under the blankets. My lips tingled and I carefully slid my tongue out to lick them. They felt like the size of grapefruits. My throat ached, and I knew without looking that I had huge bruises, probably in the shape of a king-sized hand.

What happened to my super healing? Didn't all folklore claim werewolves had some supernatural ability to heal quickly? By the state of my body, I think the stories lied. Why would werewolves heal fast, anyway? Normal humans didn't, and wolves didn't, so why should some hybrid mixture of the two have the ability? They didn't obviously. I felt like crap.

I pulled the sheet down and slowly opened my eyes. Everything was blurry. How would I ever fend off the King if I could barely see? I'd never make it through this. I'd only spent a day here, and I already knew I'd lost the battle. Too much more of this, and he would likely kill me. Maybe if I gave him what he wanted, he would leave me alone. If I stopped fighting, he'd have no reason to hurt me. Submission might be my only chance at survival. A tear slid down my cheek. If I had to see him today, and I knew I would, I wouldn't have the strength to challenge him.

A glass of water along with a couple of painkillers sat on the bedside table. After managing to pull myself up, I chased the pills down with the entire glass.

I stared at the broken table across the room and the shattered pieces of my phone where they lay on the floor. What a metaphor for my new life, rages of violence were slowly breaking me apart into pieces.

I climbed out of bed and stumbled to the bathroom. After turning on the shower, I headed over to the mirror to check out the damage for myself.

My lower lip had swollen to double its size. If the puffiness wasn't noticeable enough, a bloody scab stood out on the right side like a beacon from where one of my teeth had bit into it. I couldn't help poking at it with my tongue, which only made it tingle. I wiggled my jaw, it hurt, but I could manage it. Using my tongue, I check for all my teeth. Well, so far so good. My jaw didn't appear broken, and I had all my teeth. My pale skin had turned a grotesque mishmash of purples, greens, and blues. The bruises stood out predominately on my right cheek, along my jaw line, and down my throat. I tilted my head, looking for Logan's mark. After last night, I just needed the confirmation that I still had it. A large black bruise disguised part of it, but I could still make out the scar of Logan's fangs. I quickly stripped off my clothes and continued to stare at myself. Purple-blue bruises lay scattered across my ribs, and down the right side of my abdomen.

I looked like hell, and felt worse. Luckily, nothing appeared broken. Maybe werewolves did have some enhanced healing ability, or their bodies were tougher than regular humans. I was positive that the force Stephen had attacked me with yesterday should have broken something. I didn't get the impression he'd held anything back.

After taking a shower, I re-dressed in the only clothes I had, Abigail's jeans and t-shirt, and Logan's sweatshirt. I didn't bother checking the closest, if Stephen had bought me clothes, he could keep them. I wanted to meet the council with a smashed in face, wearing torn, stinky, blood-splattered clothes. If the council was anything like the King, they deserved no less.

I knelt down beside the bed and rooted around for my gun. If only I had access to this last night, I could have blown Stephen's brains out. Maybe. I was pretty sure I could have at least shot him, in the leg, or crotch, or something.

As I slipped the gun into the waist of my jeans, I felt stronger. Strange how an inanimate object could give you power. Even if the strength was only in my head, at least I felt reassured that no one else on the estate would have a gun.

***

Christian came by with breakfast as I was braiding my hair. "Here." He offered me a protein bar.

I arched an eyebrow, before tearing it open, and eating it in three bites. "Why so little?" I asked between chews. After last night's professionally cooked feast, I figured I could at least look forward to the food here. I'd planned to hide in my room, eating my emotions and body into a few extra hundred pounds.

"Father put you on rations."

"Rations?" I almost choked on the last chunk of my bar. "So when do I get to eat again?"

He shifted on his feet. "Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow! Why didn't you tell me before I ate it all? I'm going to starve."

Christian stepped closer, grabbing my shoulders. "I'll get you more, Avery. I promise. I'll save some of my food and sneak it to you."

"Why?" I stepped out of his reach, causing his hands to drop to his sides. What would he gain from helping me?

"I choose to believe you'd do it for me." He shrugged. "And everyone needs a friend."

He looked sincere. It could all be a ruse, of course. I didn't have much of a choice whether or not to believe him. It seemed irrelevant whether I trusted him or not. At this point, he was the only ally I had here. Which sucked, considering he was Stephen's first born. "Fine. Whatever."

"The council is here," he said, changing topics. "I'm supposed to take you to the meeting place. Are you ready to go?"

"Do I look ready?" I deadpanned.

"No." A smile started to lift the corner of his lips. "You look like garbage. You're clothes are horrible, and your face is a mess."

"Wow, tell me how you really feel. You sure are taking this friend thing to heart."

He grinned. "Come on." He walked through the door motioning for me to follow.

As we walked through the house, it appeared empty. I didn't hear any kids, or see any guards. It made me wonder if Stephen expected everyone in the pack to attend the council meeting. Christian led the way down the flight of stairs, and out the front door.

The sun was like a soothing salve on my skin. Breathing in the fresh air, I felt a renewed sense of self. Whatever pity party I'd had upstairs, had started to clear out. I wasn't sure if it was the combination of painkillers, handgun, and sunshine, but I felt unbelievably better. Maybe I could survive Stephen. If Christian's intention to become my friend were true, he might help me escape. I gave out a silent prayer as I sucked in a deep calming breath, and followed along behind him.

Christian silently led us at least half a mile into the woods following along a groomed path that eventually opened up into a small clearing. I thought meeting with the council would happen in more of a courtroom setting, not in the middle of the forest. I also assumed they'd wear robes, and sit in thrones towering above my head, not be wearing jeans, t-shirts, and leather jackets, while leaning against trees.

The pack stood in the forest around us. Some in their wolf form, while others remained as humans. Their eyes all watched me, with a mixture of interest, and suspicion. Stephen stood in front of the three council members, his eyes trained on me.

I started breathing through my mouth. The assault on my sense became overwhelming. Between the wolf smell, and the immense power bubbling off Stephen and the council members, my skin felt on fire. I wanted to turn and run, but something deep within me pulled me closer. Like a sirens call to power, I couldn't stop my forward momentum. I began walking so fast, I passed Christian. I wasn't sure what reason made me move with  such determination, but before I knew it. I stood beside Stephen, as if we were mates.

I quickly stepped away from him, putting distance between us. I shot him a sidelong glance, and felt a sense of satisfaction when I saw his black eye.

As I turned my gaze back to the three council members in front of me, a strong hand grabbed my arm. Stephen heaved, pulling me back beside him, before wrapping an arm affectionately around my shoulder.

Twisting my head, I glared at him. He returned my look with a serene smile. I couldn't believe this monster had beaten me yesterday, put me on rations today, and had the audacity to smile, as if we liked each other.

I lifted my foot and slammed it down on his instep. Once he let go of me, I spun and punched him in the gut. Hearing him groan, I knew I'd knocked the wind out of him. With a sense of vindication, I shoved him away from me.

And that was when the pack descended