Chapter Eight

Jonathan instructed me to sleep in one of the two bedrooms. Exhausted and overwhelmed, I picked the first bedroom I'd found. I didn't know where everyone else slept, and honestly, I didn't care.

After brushing my teeth and changing into a new t-shirt and a fresh pair of underwear, I climbed into the big bed and tucked myself up tight in the fluffy duvet. I laid on my back and stared at the wood ceiling.

What if I wasn't human? What if I really was a werewolf? What if I was a danger? What if I was in danger? Everything was so messed up. I didn't even know who I was anymore.

I squeezed my eyes shut as a tear slowly slid down across my temple. I didn't believe Jonathan, and yet, a part of me instinctually knew it was all true. And that part scared me. Ignorance was easy. I didn't know what to do with this new knowledge. I needed to get home. I needed to look my parents in the eyes and ask them if they adopted me. If they said no, I'd report Jonathan to the police and put all this behind me, but if they said yes, well . . . I shook my head. One problem at a time. I needed to get away from these guys first. But I still couldn't figure out how. A few tears slid down across my temples and I let them. I was on the precipice of a new reality and I wasn't sure I was ready to jump. I stared at the ceiling for what felt like hours thinking, and trying not to, until eventually exhaustion finally got the best of me, and I drifted off into a restless sleep.

I woke up too early. Through the window, the moon still hung in the night sky surrounded by tiny diamond stars. With a sigh, I sat up to flip over my pillow and found Scout curled up on the white rug on my floor. He used his arm as a pillow and my cave quilt covered him.

"Scout," I whispered. He stirred, but didn't wake up. "Scout," I called a little louder.

He slowly opened his eyes and blinked away sleep. "You okay, Avery?"

"Why are you sleeping on my floor?"

"I wanted to sleep near you, but I didn't want to wake you."

"Here." I moved over lifting the duvet up. He grinned and jumped up off the floor, climbing in beside me. His scent instantly relaxed me. I'd never thought the smell of someone else could create such a physical change in my emotions.

He rolled onto his side to face me. "Are you going to stay with us?" He asked the question innocently enough, but he must have known I didn't have a real choice in the matter.

"Yes, but I wish I could've said good-bye to my old life. My family is probably so worried about me. I want them to know I'm okay."

"Maybe one day, when Father thinks it's safe, you can."

"I hope so."

"I'll come with you," he mumbled through a yawn.

"Sure." I didn't really believe that day would ever come. Jonathan had made it clear I was a danger to people. I didn't think he'd just wake up one day and change his mind about it. "Go back to sleep," I said with a smile.

On my command, he closed his eyes. "I love you, Avery. I'm happy we're together."

The last thing I remember before falling back to sleep, was Scout's scent combined with his light steady breathing, and the feeling of peace it brought.

Next time I woke up, the sun shone in through a crack in the curtains. I heard the TV, along with movement in the main room. Scout no longer slept beside me anymore. In his place was someone else.

Strands of unruly hair tickled my nose. Lips were pressed against my collarbone and warm breath blew across my chest. The werewolf clutching me to him, wore a brand new pair of black boxer briefs. The size large sticker still stuck to the side of them.