Chapter Eleven

Groggy, didn't begin to explain what I felt. Pins and needles wreaked havoc on my limbs making them useless. I tried telling myself to sit up, but my body wouldn't cooperate. Everything was pitch black and I wondered if my eyelids were even open.

I was lying down, but the fabric against my skin felt like leather, which seemed an odd choice for a bed. As I continued to lie there motionless, I realized the ground around me vibrated slightly.

Then it hit me. Those two jerks had drugged me.

"Nah, she's still out cold." A deep voice mumbled from somewhere in front of me. "The tranquilizers knocked her out good. Boss is going love this one. She's kind of exotic looking with those almond gray eyes and that athletic body." The male voice sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place it. It didn't sound like the guy in the suit who had stopped to offer Scout and me help when we'd blown the tire.

"Yeah, he loves blondes." That sounded like Suit Man. His voice had a recognizable rasp to it as if he'd smoked too many cigarettes for too long.

I must be in the back seat of his car. My heart started to pound as I attempted again to make my arms move. And why couldn't I see? What had these maniacs given me?

The car slowed before coming to a stop. It shut off, followed by the sound of the doors opening. "I think the boss is down in the pit playing cards with the boys. Let's bring her down. See if he approves," Suit Man said.

I stayed motionless, working the fact they thought I was still unconscious. Two large hands curled themselves around my ankles as they pulled me across the seat. A hand slid behind my knees, while another gripped my waist. Then I was airborne. The guy holding me grunted as he slung my body close against his chest. His footfalls were heavy as gravel crunched beneath his feet. Sweat combined with fried food radiated off him. I focused on keeping my breathing steady, hoping my muscles would start obeying my commands soon. I had to get out of here.

A door opened, than I was jostled back and forth. I assumed we were headed downstairs. The strong smell of booze, cigars and something chillingly familiar hit me.

"Who is that, Lee?" A loud voice boomed from somewhere to my right.

"We found her at the truck stop with some kid," the man carrying me answered. "Sorry Boss, couldn't resist. We figured you'd like her. She was a bit of trouble to get. We had to stick nails in her car tire and follow her. She's also a bit feisty, puts up a good fight."

I heard footsteps as someone approached me. "Well let's see her," Boss said, as a heavy hand landed on my head.

What happened next must have been pure instinct, because truthfully, I didn't know I had it in me.

The second I realized I wasn't blind, I'd just had a bag over my head, I jumped and launched myself out of my abductors arms. My sudden movement must have startled the man holding me, because he easily let me go.

I tackled a man I assumed was the Boss due to all the gold jewelry and the overwhelming stench of cologne. Once I made contact with him, we went down with a thud. He landed on his back with me straddling him. I wrapped one hand around his throat and managed to punch him in the face a couple times with the other before someone kicked me in the ribs. I jumped off, springing to my feet. Once up, I took in a quick inventory of the place.

The room was dark with a haze of smoke hanging in the air. Someone had placed a few free standing lamps around. They offered little light considering most of them had a burned out bulb. There was a bar to my right with a girl wearing nothing but a hot pink glittery bikini and a pair of black stilettos hiding behind it. Another couple of girls wearing a similar uniform stood huddled in a corner together. A poker table sat in the middle of the room with a dingy light hanging above the table. Four men sat around the table. All of them stared wide-eyed at me.