Chapter Twenty-One

Stephen threw me into the backseat of a black Cadillac before climbing in after me. I pressed myself as far away from him as possible. The power rolling off him consumed the entire car and made me feel small. Another two werewolves climbed in the front seats, and pulled the car onto the highway.

No one spoke, but Stephen stared at me. His eyes had reverted to blue, and I noticed for the first time, that he wore a suit. Very un-werewolf of him. Most werewolves I'd met so far all preferred the rugged casual look of jeans, t-shirts and well-worn jackets.

"You smell good," he said with a grin.

I scowled, pressing farther back into the door until the handle dug into my skin.

"As you heard, I'm Stephen. What's your name?"

I stared at him, contemplating what the chances were that I could get out of this car.

"If you don't tell me, I'll just give you a new one." He smiled. "Doesn't matter to me."

"Avery," I muttered.

His grin widened. "Avery," he purred my name enunciating each syllable. The way he looked at me, and hearing my name roll off his lips, made me feel dirty. I should have lied and given him a different name. Stupid.

"Jonathan Grier is your father?"

"Apparently."

He cocked an eyebrow. "You don't like him?"

"I don't really know him."

"Of course, he said he'd just found you. So you were raised by humans then, right?"

"I am human."

He laughed. It sounded easy and carefree as it vibrated through the car. "You may be a lot of things, but human, you definitely are not."

"Yes, I am."

He leaned toward me, his gold irises returning. "No. You're not."

"Who are you?" I crossed my arms over my chest, attempting to protect my personal space. "Where are you taking me?"

He relaxed back into his seat. "We're going to my territory. And who I am." He winked. "You seem like a smart girl. So I know with time, you'll figure it out."

"I'm not in the mood for riddles. Just tell me who you are, and why my pack let you take me."

In a movement so fast, I barely caught it, he was in my face. His eyes completely gold, the hint of his fangs peeking out.

"I am someone you should respect, not talk back too. I'll forgive you your ignorance this time, and this time only. But from now on you will call me Master."

A startled laugh erupted out of me. "There's no-" I started, but he backhanded me, cutting me off. He grabbed my cheeks in one hand, his strong fingers digging into my flesh as he pulled me to him until our faces were only inches apart. My heart hammered and my hands started to sweat as I stared into the blinding glow of his eyes.

"You will learn your place, Avery Grier, or I will beat it into you. You belong to me now."

"Logan's gonna kill you," I whispered. I wasn't sure how much truth that statement held. Since after the way my pack had abandoned me, could I really count on Logan coming to my rescue? The mark on my neck, itched reminding me of what Logan had said, that under werewolf law I belonged to him.

Stephen tossed me away from him and I smacked my head on the window. He turned forward in the seat and leaned back. He stared straight ahead, his eyes narrowed into slits as a muscle in his jaw twitched repeatedly. He said nothing more to me for the rest of the drive.