The Pursuit of Happiness... Maybe

Melanie

"We're going where?" Looking to Lawrence surprised to hear what he had just said but didn't believe him. It had been three weeks of now being still stuck in this bed. On top of that I was in a coma for my birthday too! Thankfully the heart machine and IV was taken out the next day. That would have been so annoying.

"We are going to Montana for the summer." Lawrence said again bring dinner on a trolly like he has done every day for the last week after he gave Nicholai a broken nose and a shattered toe for not letting him in for two weeks but Dario kept me safe too.

"Woof woof!"

"Good boy." I said affectionately patting his now more struckered head and longer body. He had doubled in size but still had his silky puppy fur laying alongside my legs as Lawrence approached us with the smell of food.

"Fettuccine Alfredo with shrimp and tomatoes. For Dario meat and gravy." Lawrence said lifting the lids off the plates pushing it over the bed so I could eat then setting Dario strategically far from the bed on the floor as he ran to it while Lawrence took his place.

"Smart man." I laughed twisting the noodles on to my fork taking a good bite with a shrimp on the end. "So what about summer and why Montana?" I questions taking a sip of my tea looking up to Lawrence reflecting a small smile.

He picked up the napkin from the tray putting it to my chin as he spoke wiping. "I have a house there that I thought we could enjoy and get you some fresh air. Get you out of this stuffy room and city." He smiled putting the napkin back.

"Okay I'll let Nicholai and Howl known so they can pack. When are we leaving?"

"Nicholai and Howl can't come it is just going to be me and you. Not even Kyle or Ace are coming." He said sneering Howls name looking into my eyes then desire as he spoke about just us.

To be honest with myself I was scared to be alone with him. Let alone in another state by myself and on top of that I might be able to see my parents. If they were still there though. So going to Montana seemed to be a very important trip. "But isn't all your work really here? Are you worried I'll get taken again and why is it just going to be us? " I questioned but not sure why it was just us. Doesn't he need them to protect us too?

"They are staying here because I hired a couple that look like us to stay here at the penthouse to pose as us so no one should come after us or even bother us." He said stroking my cheek tenderly then dropped it so I could finish eating. The word Us used to many times making me feel there was another meaning to it.

"Okay." I said unsure of us being alone together. I still don't think I could trust Lawrence truly. Specially with my heart and I knew that we weren't just running away to hide but also so we could get closer to one either. I could tell by his eyes that he wanted me to himself. He has made it very clear that he was a possessive man but, after being taken he doesn't really seem to see me as his property any more either. More like an actual person by asking me what I wanted, how I was feeling and if I need help with anything. Getting in and out of bed has seemed like a chore. Being in a coma for three months really makes your body ache from being in bed for so long and having no strength. I even tough Dario how to fetch me things from around the room just by pointing to them.

"You well love Montana it's so pretty, spacious, and warm during the summer." He said confidently with a smile that I would like it when I knew I didn't.

"Lawrence that is were I lived before you. I lived there for a few months before I was taken for your birthday. Which by the way I missed my own birthday." I said sadly think of my parents that didn't get to spend it with them or anyone. Just asleep dreaming of the past memories of my parents, grandpa, and the places I had lived with them.