The Unexpected Power

Lawrence

Dreams filter by behind my closed eyes, memories of the past and some of the new mingling together as images pass by of Melanie and Amelia. They were two women that I care about very deeply wondering how they had found there way into my heart so easily without resistance. Amelia's wide smile and Melanie's bright eyes, both so happy and innocent. 

The world was unfair to be stuck with a man that cared for them but was no innocent. I wasn't going to let what happened to Amelia happened to Melanie now. Anger consuming me in an instant, remembering what had happened for the fact that somebody was targeting her. My mind started to come out of the fog resurfacing, forcing my eyes open as feeling of comfort and warmth enveloped me. 

A dripping noise came in to focus beside me, slightly seeing light filter in the window just as the sun seemed to be coming up. Pressing into the mattress of the bed warm and feeling a steady rhythm of breathing softly fluttering over my chest. Looking down I saw a hand spread over my bare chest above my heart with a waterfall of strawberry blonde hair cascading over my shoulder and onto the bed slightly tickling my chin. 

Melanie soft rise and fall of her even breathing as she slept on top of me, her other arm curled under and beside me as if she was hugging me in her sleep. I couldn't tell where we were in the dim light, not able to recognize by the blurriness of my eyes. Pain pulsing in my shoulder where I was shot, bandages crossed over the wounds pressing into the white cotton sheets. The dripping sound coming from an IV in my hand and another monitor with a screen of my heart beat making apparent that I had been critical for sometime.

I had never felt so tired so weak in my life, normally I would just rip it out and go back to my everyday dangerous life with no care. I couldn't though, with the thought I would have to wake up Melanie, my sleeping angel. I was too comfortable to do that to, warmed by that fact she was here, in bed, with me. Finally. 

The pain started to dull by morphine that was delivered by one of the tubes pushing on my eyelids to close again as darkness enfolded on me to sleep. Time seemed to stretch for minute hours maybe even days, I couldn't say before I woke up. Dreams taking over one after another, memory of past events being shown or the past few days filtering through my mind till a voice so sweet but sounded irritated disturbed the images.

"Those contracts have been in place for weeks with Luciano. I have them in front of me and you can not say you do not know of them when they have been signed by you. Just correct them and fax them back." She was then quite, hearing wrestling of papers then started to speak again. "What is going on Kyle?" She demanded never hearing the tone of displeasure before wondering what was going on as I imagined Kyle answering her. "This is a problem Kyle, I have Nickolai scanning reports and other connections he can find towards that man. Ace is still handling the reporters to cover anything that says otherwise. Tell me the moment anything comes up." There was then silence again as I pushed more forcefully to open my eyes as light flooded them momentarily blinding them.

"Take these downstairs and then go grab more medical supplies from that nurse at the hospital. You... take these and put them back on the shelves, make sure they are put back in the same place." I looked to the side now recognizing my master bedroom in Montana with Melanie sitting behind the large glass desk that was in the corner of the room facing the large window overlooking the back of the mansions with a large pool patio then the fields of straw. Behind her was books and files in the large bookcases that lined the walls. She was on my computer three large screens facing her as she scanned her eyes clicking away.

I watched as a man in a suit did as she had demanded grabbing books off the desk and placing them on the shelves, once he was done stood in front of the desk hands clasp behind him as he waited for further instructions. She was now looking at a smaller screen in her had tapping her finger then lifted it to her ear. Shit she had a phone! Who the hell was she calling and why the hell can't I move!?