Just as the coach announced that practice was over my phone buzzed with a new text.

My heart clenched in my chest as I grabbed my stuff and moved off the bench. I made it halfway off the field before someone called out to me. "Hey, Rookie!" I turned around, ready to collapse. It was Winston who'd called me. They'd started naming me Rookie a few weeks ago. I didn't mind, at least they accepted me.

Winston was standing around with a group of five. Miles, Tyler and Liam among them. Winston waved me over. I glanced in the direction of my destination before jogging over to them. "What's up?" I asked, slightly out of breath.

"We're gonna do some team bonding later tonight at my place, you up for it?"

I cleared my throat to get rid of the dryness before answering swiftly with a short, "I'll let you know. See you!"

And I was on my way again. This time without any interruptions. I didn't know if that was good or bad.

My body tensed some more when I saw him, leaning against his truck. I let out a shaky breath, my stomach ache subsiding a little bit.

He broke out in a grin when he saw me approaching and my heart broke a little at the thought of our upcoming conversation. "Hey," he greeted me and bend down to kiss my cheek. I was so ashamed that I couldn't make eye contact as I mirrored his greeting minus the kiss. "So, what's on your mind?"

I bit the inside of my cheek once I dared to look at him. He cocked his head to the side, his gaze sweeping over my features. I couldn't do this! I sighed and fumbled with the strap of my bag. "Liz?"

Briefly, I closed my eyes at his tone of voice. He sounded so concerned. Maybe I should abort the mission. It's for the better, my subconscious reminded me.

"Liz, what's going on?"

"I need to tell you something." This time I managed to gaze up at him.

"Okay. I can drive you somewhere and we can talk about it over coffee or something." He opened the passenger door for me. I was rooted in place.

"We should stop seeing each other."

His features twisted into a frown. He slammed the door shut. "What?"

I didn't answer, knowing that he heard me the first time. My gaze slid to the floor. "Why?"

I sighed and closed my eyes for a second. "This is just not working out."

His eyes widened. "Is this because of our last date. Look if I crossed a line I'm-"

I shook my head. "It's not-" It's not you.

He took a step closer. "Was it something I said? Did I-"

"It's not your fault, okay? You didn't do anything wrong." This was even harder than I'd imagined. "I just... don't see us working out."

He took another step closer to me. "But this hasn't really started yet how can you just call it off if you're not sure what could become of us?" His eyes had a desperate glint to them, pleading me to overthink my decision.

I shook my head, my heart clenching. "I'm just not the right person for you."

"How can you say that?"

"It's just not right. You need someone-"

"How do you even know what I need or what I want?!" he yelled at me, outraged. His expression matched the volume.

"I-"

"You don't! You can't see inside my head, Liz. Clearly not, because if you could then you would know that I want you!"

I distantly noticed that some team members were joining us, hurrying to get to their cars. I needed to end this before my friends arrived.

He was wrong however he didn't want me. He wanted the idea of me. He wanted my facade.

"I want you, so I can't see why you want to end this here?!"

I forced myself to get the next few words out, even if it hurt me more than it could hurt him. "Because I don't want you!" His whole body froze. "I'm sorry, but I just don't feel it. I don't like you that way. I only like you as a friend." And now I was friendzoning him. This event turned out worse than I'd thought possible. "That's why I pulled back when you tried to kiss me. I just don't see you that way."

His next words came out so quiet I was straining to hear, "I don't believe you."

I did a double take. "What?"

"I don't believe you," he said, his grey eyes staring back at me. His voice was back to normal volume. "I know that you like me. So, why are you lying to me?"

For a moment, I didn't know how to respond. My first thought was to apologize and tell him that I didn't mean any of the things I said, to blame it on my insecurities. But I couldn't turn back now.

"I'm not lying, Sam," I said softly.

"Of course you are. Liz, you don't mean any of the things you just said."

"You're in denial."

"I'm not! You are just not being honest!"

"You can't see inside my head, Sam," I threw his own words back at him, my voice shaking.

For a moment he was petrified. "Liz, don't do this."

"Goodbye, Sam." My voice was something close to a whisper.

I backed away and turned around.

"Liz, please! At least give me a second chance!"

I closed my eyes and let out a shaky breath before walking away. He was acting as if I was punishing him when really I was doing him a favor.

"Liz!" He called after me and something in me fell apart. I kept on walking away from him, forcing myself not to look back. "Liz!" I broke through the imaginary wall that was trying to stop me from moving.

"Liz!"

And kept on walking.