atmosphere.

back to the usual time period

I was woken slightly by Mark climbing back into bed with me. It was barely 3 a.m. I felt him crawl up against my back, molding his body to mine and his hand going over my side and landing over my chest. I could feel him breathing on my neck, and based on the quick patterns, he wasn't going to sleep anytime soon. 

I rolled over, being careful not to hit him or anything. He looked at me, his bright blue eyes still noticeable in the dark room.

"You okay, baby," I whispered. 

"Trying to be," he sighed as he closed his eyes. 

I put my hand on his face, pushing the newly washed strands back on top of his head. 

"What's going on," I asked him, trying not to sound pushy. 

"I'm alright. Just having trouble sleeping. Tired. Just tired," he said quietly. 

"How long has this been going on," I asked him. 

"About 2 weeks, it's just starting to really take a toll on me. It's not the first time. It happened a lot when I was a teenager so many years ago, guess it's making a return."

I kissed his cheek and sat up, switching on the bed side lamp. 

"Well the night is still calling," I said as I got out of bed, "And we have nothing holding us back." 

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking," he smiled.

"If what you're thinking of is an night time adventure then yes the fuck it is." 

"You bastard," he teased as he crawled out of the bed to meet me by the closet. 

"Come on. Kids are at your mom's for the weekend and we can have fun," I got closer to him and whispered, "Plus we can save that for when we get back and have a bit of fun, I've always preferred the morning anyways." 

He smirked at me, "I fucking love you."

"Well right now I believe all you can think of is my ass but my ass also appreciates the love. It's also only been like 3 days, how horny are you?"

"Excuse me, I heard you working the shaft in the shower this morning." 

"You motherfucker," I said as I pounced on him, tackling him to the bed. 

I straddled him, pushing his hands down and smirking down at him. I leaned down and kissed him, he responded right away. He tugged his hands out from my grasp, rolling us over so he was on top. I could feel him poking into my thigh as he ground into me, looking for any friction he could get.

We pulled away, both gasping for air with red cheeks and swollen lips. I felt him grab for the waist of my boxers and tug down. My cock came out, hitting my stomach and already beginning to leak. I tugged on his briefs and he kicked them off right away. He gabe me one more quick kiss before rolling off the bed and gping into the dresser. I went to the middle of the bed so our legs weren't hanging off.

He returned quickly with a small package and and bottle. He tore through the foil with his teeth, taking out the rubber and rolling it onto his dick with a smirk. He put some more lube on the pre-lubricated condom and closed the cap, tossing away the bottle to the floor. He crawled between my legs and pushed inside of me, stretching my rear and sending a pinch of pain through my entire lower half.

He inched his way inside of me, kissing my neck and leaving clearly visible marks a long my jaw down to my collar bone. He was completely inside of me, taking a moment to let me settle.

"Fucking move," I shouted at him.

"Now who's the horny bastard," he teased me.

I just shook my head and soon he was in the crook of my neck again, darkening and widening the marks he had already made. His thrusts got deeper and harder, hitting sweet spot every time. My eyes rolled into the back of my head as I hit my climax. He continued to thrust into me for no more than a minute or two. He slowed down, lowering his sweaty body onto mine and resting there for a minute. He pulled me out, leaving me empty. He sat up and tied the newly filled condom up, tossing it into the bin.

"I love you," I said sleepily.

"I love you more. Let's go shower," he said, offering a hand to help me up. 

We went into the shower, both of us really just washing ourselves and recognizing that shower sex is a terrible idea for so many reasons. Mark tossed me a towel when we got out and we dried off quickly, getting dressed into some old clothes. 

We went in the SUV, it wasn't even 4 a.m. We drove to our old spot. We got in the back seat, laid down the bench and opened all the windows. He popped Three Imaginary Boys in the CD player like he always did. The cool morning air came in through the car windows. I grabbed one of the travel blankets from the trunk and laid it over us. He put his arm around me, pulling me tightly to his torso. He kissed me lightly on the forehead. 

Before I knew it the long album was over. Mark sat up and popped a new disc in. I didn't catch what it was. 

"Substance," Mark said. "I haven't listened to this comp in years. I used to be obsessed with Joy Division when I was younger. "

He lay back down with me and I pulled him on top of me, him supporting himself with his arms. He leaned down to kiss me, neither of us having a desire to go any further than that. He went back next to me after a long while. 

Soon enough we were at track 9. A slow, beautiful melody came from the speakers. I guess he could tell I was intrigued. 

"Atmosphere," he said, "One of my favorite songs."

"It's beautiful," I said as the low, bellowing voice filled my ears. 

"Yeah, it is," he said as he yawned. 

He pulled me tight to him once again. I tangled our legs together, resting my head on  his chest. My eyes closed but I didn't fall asleep. I  could feel Mark begin to drift off, his breathing changed. I looked up at him and sure enough his eyes were closed and his mouth was open, letting gently snores slip his mouth.

Something about that moment struck me. It seemed euphoric almost. Maybe it was just the setting of it all, maybe it was the music, maybe it was my husband sleeping under me, but for once I felt like everything in the world was going to be okay. 

I've grown so much in my years with Mark. I was just a suburban kid when I met him, now we're old and successful and gross looking and married. That's still such a strange concept to me.

It felt like my problems all just left me right then and there. Mark and I would be fine. I would be okay. The kids would grow up and that was a scary thought. One day the three of them are gonna leave home, get themselves married and with kids of their own, I'm gonna be a grandpa in like 20 years. 

Right now things were perfect. I miss the kids but they'd never be willing to leave at this time anyway. I let myself drift off in this moment. I can only wish that everyone gets to experience a moment like this, sleeping with their significant other and listening to their soft breathing. 

At that moment I knew things were gonna end up fine, we'd be alright from here on out and I have no doubt about that. It was like some fairy tale moment where they all lived happily ever after. And that's what we did. Happily ever after. 

----

Author's note:

Hey guys!! I just want to thank you guys so much for reading my story and some of you telling me that it meant something to you. It took a long time to write but it's over, and it's so much more than I hoped it would be. This might be the only full book I ever write. It's just so insane to see that people actually enjoy and want to keep seeing this story and I'm just so grateful for that. I'm sorry for some of the chapters being so insanely emo and shit but fuck, I got so much of me out and ingrained into this story. Whenever I had the time to do this, I'd write, and express everything I could through these characters. This band changed my life. 

Again, thank you so much for reading, it honestly means the world to me. 

-Mason