twenty-five: ok, be my boyfriend

Start from the beginning

Notice of Hearing to Approve Irreconcilable Differences Divorce. This case is set for hearing at the court above on...

My stomach clenched and I stepped back.

"Alice..." Jeb came up behind me. "I was trying to tell you..."

"It's fine," I flashed him a small smile. 

"Look..."

"It's. FINE." I scanned the paper again. August 20? That was day 100. "I don't have to go, right?"

"I don't think so."

"Could you check?"

"Yeah, of course. I'm not going to make you..." He rubbed his head. "We should talk, Alice. Really talk."

I nodded. "How about I buy dinner this time?"

"Nah. It's still my turn."

That night, after we went to bed, I could barely close my eyes knowing he was asleep on the other side of the house. I didn't know how to handle the awareness of him. The desire, deep in my belly, to take those steps across the great room to his door.

I rolled around, unable to get comfortable.

The next morning, I had massive raccoon eyes. When Gayle picked up Levi after school she stopped short at the sight of me.

"You OK?"

"Jeb's back." I didn't tell her that my boss, Paul, had been bringing me tea all day - convinced I was coming down with something. 

All the concealer in the world didn't fix it. Despite changing into a fuchsia sundress and re-applying my make-up, it was obvious from Jeb's reaction that I still looked unwell. 

"You OK?" He asked, standing as I approached the table. I realized he was dressed up for me in pressed khakis, a deep blue polo shirt and oxford shoes. Amazing. 

"Yeah," I sighed. I am now. 

The waiter came around and gave us our menus and a small plate of grapes - some that that had been infused with champagne, others had a walnut coating. I hadn't realized it was a prix fixe place but clearly Jeb had. He looked pretty smug. 

"Finally taking you to a proper dinner," he announced. 

Next the waiter brought tiny venison sliders. Since we hadn't talked much while he was gone, we had things to catch up on. I told Jeb about the charges against Lonnie and Garth. How Lonnie had recovered and gone to jail. How Garth had been charged and let go on bond and was even back to preaching.

"Wait. So...the church just took Garth back?"

I nodded. "He made some kind of confession to Jimmy Lee and then they had a meeting with the Elders. And they forgave him. That's all I know."

"That's bullshit. Have you talked to your mom?"

 I shook my head. "Not yet."

 Cucumber watermelon salad was delivered in blue enamel bowls. One of my favorites.

Jeb told me about the progress on the house and the last, sustained effort to stop construction. "Once the foundation is poured, the argument is pretty much over," he shook his head. "There's really no going back from that."

Jeb had the flat iron steak and I had the lemon chicken with capers. He reached over without me asking and cut mine up into bite sized pieces. 

I swooned, just a little. 

He asked about Levi's progress at the school and with therapy. I asked about Queenie and Jay's son.

"Oh! I forgot to tell you - they picked a name. Kenen Mohalaleli Scott."