twenty-two: rescued (Imma gonna need my wife back)

I used my legs to kick at the back doors of the church van as Lonnie drove us away. 

Unfortunately, it was the utility van.  A grille separated the driver's cab from me so I couldn't beat the crap out of Lonnie and stop the thing. It was mostly used for transporting stuff like food for the pantry and maintenance. Wedge espadrilles were no match for it.  

I scrambled up to the grille and screamed at Lonnie. "Stop the van. STOP THE VAN, LONNIE!! Stop! STOP IT STOP IT HIT THE BRAKES!!"

He turned up the music to drown me out. 

Oh my God, I was being kidnapped to Murder by Pride by Stryper.

I sank down to the floor and tried to hold myself from getting bounced around too much. On my knees I pressed my face against the metal divider and begged Lonnie to please have mercy on me and my husband and little baby Levi who needed me and had already lost one mother...

He turned up the music again.

There was a chirp from my pocket and I jumped to turn my phone on mute. Holding it low so Lonnie couldn't see from the rear view mirror, I turned around into the corner right behind the driver's seat. 

*Lonnie took me. Usher helped. Call 911*

*WTF?*

*Track my GPS.*

*4real*

*I'm scared*

*Calling Queenie*

Trying to be all Princess Fiona but really being all Princess Buttercup. I squatted on the industrial rug and stared at the doors and tried to focus. What if I dug out the spare tire and jack? What if...

"Lonnie," I tried again. "God made you my stepbrother. My protector...not the guy who hurts me, ok?" I was crying and starting to get real scared. 

He was driving us down the state road, listening to Stryper and ignoring me. When I saw the sign leaving Allison County, my chest tightened so hard that I couldn't get enough air. I was panting. 

Then I was struck with a vague memory. 

I curled back up behind Lonnie and texted Jeb again. 

*ask Katie. MooMoo*

*???u ok?*

*in panel van. Duke Henry Country. ask Katie.*

*y, watching you on GPS. Queenie coming. wl ask K. hang on.*

We were on a dirt road. I suddenly realized he'd take the phone if he saw it. Of course he would. I tried hiding it down in my bra but it was too big. 

I needed that phone on. I needed them to find me. I stuck it in my panties and then took off my cardi and knotted it around my waist. 

A big rut in the road sent me flying. We'd turned off and the rough terrain bounced me back and forth. I was gonna be bruised, for sure. "LONNIE!!" I screamed. "LONNIE JESUS!!"

He slammed on the brakes.

I scrambled back up to the grille and begged him to call Garth. "Just call our parents, please, please..."

He got out of the van. I couldn't see where he went and for a moment, I felt relieved. Like maybe he left me?

Then the doors opened. 

He reached in and grabbed for my leg but I scooted back, out of reach. With a grunt he pulled himself in. I kicked at him and screamed but he got his hand on me and pulled.