Perdóname『Forgive Me』

Niell

My head ached as I stood in front of my large family with my brothers and Maria at my sides. I was breathing hard, I felt as if their eyes were burning straight through me. Only one thing was on my mind:

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry.

I didn't want to tell them that our Maria was losing herself to a disease. Especially not after all the stories of Maria's strength against constant belittling due to her heritage and gender.

I wanted to walk away with some of my dignity intact until I saw Taraj staring at me with worry. He was sitting on the floor, soothing the younger children as they squirmed around. His soft expression couldn't reach me.

I'm sorry.

When the crowded room fell silent, with the exception of the children, my brothers looked at me expectantly. I nodded to them confidently but felt completely empty. 

I'm sorry.

I forced myself to then face my family once again.

"A lot of this becomes known to me recently, but I'm still sorry for keeping it from you," I spoke in fluent Spanish, hoping someone will translate for Taraj.

I'm sorry.

Dominic answered my prayers, sitting next to my baby and taking some of the rowdy kids into his lap. Taraj listened intently as Dominic translated, and I continue speaking, "Maria has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's a-" 

I was interrupted as the room burst in out commotion. I looked around, unsure of what to do to calm them. 

I'm sorry.

"Silence!" Maria spoke loudly, and almost instantly the noise was gone. She took a breath of her own, "It is my fault that no one knew. I did not want to depend on the people I swore to take care of. However, I don't have a choice, do I?"

She tried to laugh and lighten the mood, but she was met with uncertain silence. Everyone glanced at each other, confused and scared. Maria bit her lip anxiously, and not even my brothers could say anything. 

I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm-

Taraj suddenly stood up and faced my family. His face was filled with determination, and he spoke confidently in English, "I am not a part of this family, and I may have no right to speak on this, but....." He had to pause, and I stared wide-eyed at him, shocked.

In the silence, I clenched my teeth, despising the fact that I couldn't look my family in the eye while Taraj spoke with so much confidence. I hate it. I hate myself.

"Despite all that, Maria welcomed me, even though others did not, and made me feel comfortable and at ease...." He continued, some translations going around the room, "For that, I at least owe her my support in whatever comes next for her."

Taraj looked to Maria, and took her hands into his own, smiling down at her, "I am here for you, Maria. Nothing in the world can change that, not even you." Maria smiled, tears forming his her eyes as she hugged Taraj. Taraj returned the hug, and the two stayed in their own little world for a while.

Suddenly, other members of the family joined the embrace, some were crying, some were comforting those around them. I caught a glimpse of Taraj's face, and the look of surprise made me smile. He deserved all this love because he is an amazing person.

Unlike me.

The sudden feeling of an arm around my shoulder brought me back to reality. I glanced to the side to see Layton smiling softly at me, "This isn't your fault. It isn't your burden to carry." I felt tears prickle behind my eyes when the stoic voice of Connor sounded, strangely filled with emotion, "He's right. Don't beat yourself up... please."