Caregivers

Taraj

I laid back down with a small smile, and closed my eyes as Niell closed my bedroom door.

The sudden ringing of my phone made me jump up in surprise. I sat up, and grabbed it, and saw it was Oscar. I answered, putting the device to my ear.

"HEY TARAJ-" He shouted, making me shout back, "SHUT THE HELL UP, OZ! MY HEAD HURTS!"

Silence.

Silence.

"Pendejo." <Bitch>

I laughed, "Punguani!" <Idiot>

"What?" He said, and I continued to laugh, "It means 'Idiot' in Swahili."

"Damn you! Anyway, I wanted to see if I could come over tonight."

"Of course. Will you be bringing Cassandra?" I asked, knowing how much Aziza loves his little sister.

"I have to. My mom is... y'know..." He said, almost hesitantly.

"Come on, then. You still have the key right?"

"Yeah, so we'll just let ourselves in."

After a brief good bye, I hung up. Laying my head down on an extra pillow, I yawn and drift to sleep.

-----------------------------------------------

I woke up abruptly as yelling came into ears, probably from downstairs. I couldn't make out what they were saying, but I could hear Oscar's obnoxious voice none-the-less.

I sigh, going to lay back down when my door was forced open and into the wall, making me sit up and glare at the idiot at my door.

"What the hell, Oscar!" I growl at him, making him come in and sit on my bed next to me, "Mr. Grinch said you were sick. You should have said so, and we would've stayed with my dad." He said, putting his hand to my forehead.

I roll my eyes and gently move his hands, "Your dad lives in the next town. You know how late the bus comes, so there would be no point. Plus, it's not a fever, it's my cluster headaches."

"That's even worse!"

"Oh, yeah..."

Oscar scoffs, "Luckily, I brought all this medicine to make you feel better." He lifted up a plastic bag I didn't even notice, and poured it out on the bed.

Tylenol, pistachio ice cream, Cheetos Puffs, Double Stuff Oreos, Twinkies, a copy of The Book of Life, Coming to America, and Marley and Me.

I stare wide eyed at the pile of beautiful shit I don't need, and then at my angel of a friend, who is grinning victoriously, "Oscar, I love you."

"I love you too, hermano." He picked up the Oreos and opened them, "What movie to you want to watch first?"

I really had to think about this. It was a tough question.

Not really.

"Marley and Me!"

He looked at me with a skeptical look, "Promise not to cry?"

I look away, "Y-Yeah..."

"Look at me when you say that." He pressed, inching closer to me.

I refuse to look at him, "I plead the fifth."

He huffs, and suddenly climbs on top of me, "What the hell are you-" I burst out into laughter he begins to tickle me, "Stop, you ass!"

"Then admit you'll cry if we watch Marley and Me!" He shouted back, tickling my stomach.