Sickness

Maria Canals as Maria (Pffft.)

I actually saw Maria as a fragile old woman before this chapter, but I felt that bad things can happen to anyone, no matter their look or appearance.

Plus, I've been watching Wizards of Waverly Place.

ENJOY!

Niell

2:30 couldn't come fast enough.

I laughed at my thoughts as I jumped into my Corvette Stingray. I start the car, and sped out of the parking lot.

I left the radio off, but my head was running at 60 miles an hour. I had been texting Taraj all day, and I felt childish about it. I'm a grown man, running one of the world's top companies, and I'm falling for some high school kid.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, and I pulled it out to see that Conner had texted me. I slid my thumb over the screen and opened the message.

(2:34) Connor: Hey, is there something wrong with Maria?

A chill went down my spine.

(2:35) Niell: What are you talking about?

(2:35) Connor: She's... acting strange. Like... she says she can't remember what month we were in. She laughed it off, but there was a sadness to it...

I put my phone down and and pulled into the parking lot of Starbucks. I parked off to the side and laid my head on the steering wheel.

Oh god... I should have told them earlier, so we could get her treated. Now it's getting worse and it's all my fault...

I grabbed my phone and sat up, pulling up my texts again.

(2:39)Niell: Are you at her house?

(2:39)Connor: Yeah. Layton and I both are. We were going to bring her to a museum when she asked what month it was.

(2:40)Niell: I'll be there in about 15 minutes. Don't go anywhere.

I then entered my contacts and called Taraj as I got back on the road. He picked up before the first ring ended, "Hey, Niell!" He said happily, making my heart sink even more.

"Taraj... I can't make it to pick you up, and I'm not going into work. You can go home for today, I'll make sure you get paid an-"

"Are you okay?" He asked, concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fi-" I stopped myself, "...No, T, I'm not okay."

Silence filled my ears for a moment, until his voice came back, "Niell.. Whatever's happening, just know I'm here if you need me. You don't have to tell me anything, but, just know that."

A small smile came onto my face, and I stopped at the red light. I wiped the tears from my eyes, my voice cracking a bit, "Thank you, T. Thank you... so much for that."

"No need to thank me... I just want you to be okay."  He said, and an urge rose up inside me.

"Can I call you tonight?" I spoke before I can stop myself, embarrassed at how much weakness I'm showing.

"Please do. I'll be too worried about you to sleep anyways." He let out a soft chuckle, and I returned it.

"I'll call you later." I said simply, not trusting myself to not cry.