9. Scars and Promises

ZACK

Lifting my head, the sun shore on my face as I opened my eyes slowly.

I found myself looking around and finding that I was still in the car. Small fragments of yesterday flashed through my eyes as I remembered the heart ranching conversation with Thea. I was lost, in a way, that I declined to go to the warehouse yesterday. instead, I foolishly went for drinks to forget her, but she swam in the back of my mind.

She was the only think I want yet the one thing I can't have.

Replaying the discussion between us again and again. The accusation didn't kill only her, but me too. I wanted disperatly to believe that she was an innocent girl and not a gold digger. I could see in her eyes the defeat, the hurt, the agony.

Regret.

But the question remained and swirled in the back of my mind, why does she want to marry him?

Theories, ideas and feelings.

A melody from nowhere rang in the air, realising that was my phone. I looked the ID caller and cringed. I didn't feel talking to him or anyone. I just wanted to be left alone... or with her.

I picked up and said in a small voice, "Hello."

A hard voice greeted, "What took you so long?"

I said aggravated, "I picked up, didn't I, Luciano?"

A pause was taken and I sighed, but before I could say anything else, Luciano asked, "What did you find out?"

I sighed for the second time thinking of that human whom I hated the most. Thea was never in my plan but she misguided my path... The mission was supposed to be easy...

I answered after some silence, "It is all very weird."

Now Luciano's voice held some rage, "Care to elaborate?"

I sat down straighter and answered, "From outside it looks neat, as it could be. Not only the girl is marrying Damon, but he is bringing the Moretti family in too."

I couldn't say her name to Luciano because then it would be real...

Luciano asked, "How?"

I said, "Silas's son, Mario Moretti, he is taking a major part on this project. From my point of view, the boy is taking the slack for Damon. He is young and very smart. I like the kid."

Luciano voiced his thoughts, "He is loyal to Tasarovs, don't forget that. But I was right, then... Damon's attention is somewhere else. You need to find out what that is. Do you understand?"

I nodded, "Crystal clear."

Luciano asked calmer, "Anything else you need to tell me?"

Battles in my heart saying that I should shield Thea and guard her, however, the reasonable thing to do is to tell Luciano.

But I didn't...

Despite my better judgement, I lied to him, "Nothing else."

Luciano quickly ended the call and hung up. When I looked at the phone again, I saw that I had a message from Mario saying to come to a specific location.

There's something that Mario knows that I can't see, yet. I still remember when Mario outright told me that I was lying and reassured that there was something shady happening. Maybe, this was the time to interrogate him further, but we knew how this world worked... I needed to be discreet.

I started my car and drove to the location.

When I reached, a warehouse sat in the middle of nowhere. I realised that this was a perfect place to do some hidden business and my job was to know how deep it runs.