8. Young at Heart

ZACK

Looking frantically around and remembering those divine moments made my heart flutter. I had forgotten that we were in a traitorous world. I could only see the memory playing in my head. Her smile. Her eyes. Her giggles.

I hadn't realised that I had fallen in love without even knowing the meaning. Finding her after all these years, old feelings started to resurface and a connection was made.

Staring at her and fighting for the fairy tale that does exist.

Soon, she broke those thoughts.

She said, "I can't leave Damon. Not ever."

I see her wanting to walk away and forget our moment, yet I know it. I know that she feels the same. She has that shine that makes anyone mesmerised. An angel trying to run and escape the world to find peace.

Another world that is inside of her that gives me the strength to fight a war. It is worth fighting for her.

Looking at her made me realised how different she looked. It seemed like the whole world was on her shoulders. The person that knew how to smile, now I only see sorrow and pain. I want to help her and caress all her broken pieces, but I can't help to wonder why is she marrying Damon.

I held her wrist and I whispered, "Not again."

I started to feel this burning rage when her eyes turned cold. An essence that she disregarded her feelings and mine.

A strange shift of emotions replaced the warm feelings. We no longer looked at each with love and longing. This time when I saw her, I stared an emptiness and a void. I meet her gaze with equal calibre.

I repeated this question with a different tone, "Why are you marrying him?"

She narrowed her eyes to show defiance. A puzzling look crossed her face, something that I never witnessed on her. I just remembered the caring girl that seeked friendship and I had a glimpse of that same girl minutes ago. Then what changed her demeanour? What was she hiding?

Eventually, she answered, "That is none of your business."

I pushed her to me and brought my arms around her. We were inches apart from each other, enough to move and kiss her. But I didn't.

Her eyes showed a mix of pain and anger and her lips were a thin line. She moved her head to the other direction, giving an indication that she couldn't look into my eyes.

The anger remained and I repeated with irritation, "Why, Dea? Why are you marrying him?"

I waited but she didn't answer, instead she started to squirm on my hold. She wanted to deny our connection and my current feelings started rising towards her. I pushed her backwards and she almost fell but she gained her composure.

I said with cruelty, "Of course you want to marry him. You are nothing more than a gold digger and an opportunist like your father."

She said louder, "You don't know anything about me."

I laughed bitterly, "But I do. You are Silas's blood. I can't believe that I was wrong about you. For a minute you deceived me. Well done!! You are a fine player."

She whispered with a broken voice, "Player?"

I continued, "Of course. It makes sense. You wanted to distract me."

She asked with tears, "Why woul--"

I interrupted her, "Damon, your fiancé and soon-to-husband, of course. We are rivals since the start. But you were a fine player to play his game. A winning award for playing your part and shed your tears."